Madonna and Child

When I first heard about how Madonna (no last name necessary) had arranged to adopt an African boy, I didn’t like it. Why? Not because he’s black and she’s white. A needy child is a needy child. My disapproval came from the fact that the boy is not an orphan. His father, indigent as well as overwhelmed at the loss of most of his family from illness, placed him in an orphanage out of desperation. When I heard this, my first thought was, ‘Why can’t she bring the father home with her as well? Give him a job or something so that he still has contact with his son.’

I can’t imagine how devastating it must be to allow your child to be taken from you because you are too poor to provide even the basics. I remember a TV movie with Mare Winningham that depicted this very situation about 15 years ago; and the final scene of that film, showing the mother sobbing her heart out as she abandoned her little girl in a park and watched from behind a tree as the DCF staffers she called picked the child up, remains vivid to me even today.

Then came the explosion. The father, perhaps having second thoughts about being so far away from his son, claimed he didn’t understand the details of the arrangement, that he believed his son would come home after X amount of years, having regained his health. Madonna, of course, was maligned in the press as trying to buy the child’s way out of the country quickly, three steps ahead of the law.

I don’t know how this situation will end. I just feel that if Madonna hadn’t attempted to break up this family, or if she’d arranged to adopt an actual orphan instead, she probably would be back home in London with the new addition to her family.

3 comments:

Shonell Bacon said...

See, now I've been listening and watching this story, and I refuse to say that "if Madonna hadn't attempted to break up this family." Every day, people give children up for adoption or what have you for various reasons. I don't think she was taking this child to break up the family. She might have actually been trying to help. Not everyone sees that "big picture" of help, like say giving the father a job - which I completely, 100% agree with you on, by the way.

What irritates me more is that media deems this a story that the public needs to be kept abreast on. I'm so BEYOND THROUGH with media helping to perpetuate this GOTTA KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYBODY WE WILL NEVER KNOW mentality. Why does it matter to us who Madonna adopts? What does it matter how long it took for us to finally see Suri Cruise? Why do we get to see a reality show on DMX's life or the last two weeks before Lil Kim's incarceration?

Grr. Let me go before I done wrote a book about this, LOL

bettye griffin said...

Good points, Chick Lit Gurrl! And you're absolutely right - people do give up their children for all kinds of reasons. I can't think of anything more heartbreaking.

Thanks for your comments. - BG

Zara Penney said...

I really got angry when the press went so feral. The baby was in an orphanage. Madonna has probably to a certain extent stoked the fires of the press, providing them with juicy headlines. I've lived in Africa.(Nigeria) African families tend to be extended and a child going to an orphanage would need extraordinary circumstances. There's always an "aunty" that he would have gone to under normal circumstances.

Who knows. Maybe this child will grow with a huge destiny to fulfill as far as the orphans of his country are concerned. God does move in mysterious ways.