The Write Time

When Friday rolled around last week, I was pleased to realize that I had pressing to do this weekend, not many errands, and very little laundry. I was done with everything by early Saturday afternoon. Now I had plenty of time to write!

Right?

Wrong.

Looking back, I am amazed at how much time I frittered away doing nothing. Well, maybe not nothing. My husband and I did go out for dinner and a movie (or, in the lingo of the Midwest, which my husband speaks, “the show”) on Saturday night. And I did finish the book I’d been reading since before Christmas (not because I was struggling through a boring story, but because I generally have to impose limits on how much time I can spend reading.) Then there was the weekly housecleaning, which in our small, temporary living quarters never takes very long. Plus I touched up my hair on Sunday (my hairdresser is 1,200 miles away, in Florida.)

Speaking of 1,200, that’s the number of words I wrote all weekend: 1,272.

On weekdays, when I’m on a temp assignment, I usually get in 45 minutes at the keyboard before leaving for work. That yielded 677 words this morning. I also write during my lunch break on my QuickPad (an electronic, battery-operated keyboard,) plus I usually manage to get a few pages done when I’m supposed to be working (the beauty of being a temp.) That made for another 798 words.

So, 1,272 words over two days off, and 1,475 in a single day when I spend eight hours at work. It doesn’t seem plausible that I can write so little with so much spare time and write so much when I have practically none. But that's what happened to me the last couple of weekends, ever since I started working again after a five-week break.

Weird, isn’t it?

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Your word count looks quite impressive to me. Makes me wonder how much you write when you are pleased with your productivity :)

bettye griffin said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Stacy. My goal is to produce 1,000 words every day, so you can see why my laziness disturbs me so much.
Oh, well. Keep on truckin', as they used to say.