Don't Shake It, Don't Break It

It's been two blissful years since my last problem with lost data. I've dismissed thumb drives as being too easily bent (the laptop I had at the time only had a port in the back, and I kept forgetting the damn thing was there). After bending two of them beyond repair, I looked for another solution.

Then I went to the pocket drive and thought it would be happily ever after, until two weeks ago, when it fell from the top of my desktop tower to the uncarpeted floor. It worked fine after that for about a week, but suddenly it died, leaving me with dozens of files that were on that drive and had yet to be stored on my laptop's hard drive.

One hundred and twenty-five dollars later (for data recovery), I will caution all of you to make sure you back up your data regularly. Make time to do it at least once a week, and twice is better.

Now, if only I can take my own advice . . . .

5 comments:

Gwyneth Bolton said...

I think I'm the last person on the planet who hasn't used thumb drives and stuff. I just save on the computer and back up on disk and save on my desk top. Hmm.... I need to get with the times.

Gwyneth

Anonymous said...

Oh my...sorry to hear that. Thanks for the reminder. I'm working on a new manuscript now and I need to email what I have so far to myself just in case my desktop & laptop want to act crazy.

bettye griffin said...

Gwyneth, I often spend lunch hours working on my book at work, and I've found it's easier to pack a thumb drive than it is to lug my laptop around with me. It sounds to me like you're doing just fine. Lots of people do backups as simply as e-mailing the files to themselves.

Shelia, I see you're one of the smart ones!

DonnaD said...

I was going to suggest you open up a free email account (like Google or Yahoo) and email your files to yourself. Don't give anyone the account or use for anything other than that.

I was desparately looking for some files and notes that I had on a CD-ROM for two books, but I couldn't find the CD. But I remembered that I sent them back and forth from home (no USB drives then) and I found them in my sent files! Yahoo indeed!

bettye griffin said...

I think I will try that, Donna! I did get a thumb drive, but it's nowhere near the 80 GB pocket drive that recently conked out on me. The price is certainly right!