It's April 15th . . . Have You Done Your Taxes?

I hate this time of year. Every year I say I'm going to get the tax return done well before the deadline. I bought the software back in February.

Once more I waited until the last possible minute. It's 3:52 AM, and I just finished. (No, I haven't been up nonstop; I often sleep for three or four hours and then get up around midnight, but usually I'm doing something more valuable than my tax return . . . like a chapter.)

This time of year always gives me the blues. I deal with it the way I usually do, with a blues song. Here's one of my favorites, Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton singing Hound Dog. She likely was the composer of this blues classic and would have made a fortune from the sanitized Elvis Presley version, had she only registered it at the copyright office. Woof woof to you, Big Mama!

Have a happy tax day! In the meantime, I'm going to get some sleep.

7 comments:

Melissa Blue said...

You'll probably hate me after I say this, but I did my taxes January 14th.

My biggest fear is the IRS coming after me. But next year I may not be as punctual. I don't know anything about claiming money from writing.

Hope you rest up well.

PatriciaW said...

For the first time in years, I got ours done and out a few weeks ago. It was such a relief to not care that today was the 15th... and to not be part of the midnight madness at the post office!

Get some rest.

Anonymous said...

I just wiped the tears from my face. I got up this morning and put the package in the mail to good ol' uncle sam. I hope uncle sam is happy because it was painful but something that had to be done. I don't file until d-day because sending it off earlier would be even more painful.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

We got our done a few weeks ago. I can't do the very last minute thing. I'd be a nervous wreck.

I'm feeling the Big Mama version of Hound Dog. I wish she had gotten her due for it.

Gwyneth

Ms.Erika said...

Love that song.

Next year will be my first time filing as a writer. So far I haven't made enough for the IRS to care, but with any luck.....

I could write off a new laptop couldn't I?

bettye griffin said...

I hate early filers like you, Mel! (just kidding) I'd suggest you get ready for this year's return by keeping your receipts in a file and keeping written records of all your expenses. The miles for things like driving to the post office for writing-related postage, or to Office Depot for writing-related supplies, are deductible, whether you buy something or not.

Patricia, I ended up taking the day off. Bernard and I went to lunch (I brought the returns along so he could sign them), and I stopped at the post office on the way home. Three p.m., and the place was packed. Fortunately, a lot of people still don't like using the automated machine, so I got out pretty quickly.

Shelia, I feel your pain. Every year for at least the last couple of years I say, "Damn, did I make that much? And did I pay that much of what I made in taxes?" It's downright depressing.

Gwyneth, I want to be like you when I grow up. I do this every damn year. Next year I'll do better . . . or so I say now.

Glad you liked Big Mama. I can't think of a better serenade to the IRS.

Ms. Erika, I'm no tax expert, but I didn't dare deduct for a laptop until I had a five-figure reportable income on my schedule C.

Thanks for posting, all!

pjazzypar said...

I did my taxes in February because I hate to have that business hanging over my head. Wonderful clip by the way.