Movie Trivia #5 and Answers to #4


First, the answers to Saturday's quotes:


1) "Hey, my name is Benny Blanco from the Bronx."


This line came from Carlito's Way (1993), a beautifully done film with Al Pacino.

2) "I was raised on a farm in Moooresville, Indiana. My mama ran out on us when I was three, my daddy beat the hell out of me cause he didn't know no better way to raise me. I like baseball, movies, good clothes, fast cars, whiskey, and you... what else you need to know?"



This line came from Public Enemies (2009), a John Dillinger biopic that I personally found disappointing for reasons I was never able to identify. I'm a big fan of Johnny Depp, but the movie didn't work for me.

3) "When people ask me if Michael Sullivan was a good man, or if there was just no good in him at all, I always give the same answer. I just tell them... he was my father."


This line came from Road To Perdition (2002), the last really good gangster movie I've seen. But an Oscar nomination for Paul Newman? I don't think so. Is it just me, or do all these actors start sounding the same once they get past 70? If I close my eyes when Paul Newman's on the screen, I'd swear it was Clint Eastwood talking.

Yes, the theme is that these were all gangster movies. Crime, criminals, etc., were all acceptable.

Donna and Patricia both got all answers, including the bonus, correct and both earned 20 points. Donna is leading with 80, and Patricia is close behind with 70. Monica and a couple of other people who emailed me are a little confused. I'll have to do a better job of explaining how the game works next time.

Now, for today's quotes, the last set before the final anything goes round on Friday. There are four of them today (a possible 25 points to be earned), because we're almost done and I got a little carried away.

1) “It might not by any chance be Mr. Dallas who wishes to remarry, is it? Well, tell him to just keep the check coming to the same address each month, or else I might get a lawyer myself and bring in the name of that highfalutin’ widow!”


2) Man: “I love you. You... you complete me. And I just...”
Woman: “Shut up, just shut up. You had me at ‘hello.’”


3) Man #1: "I am not the enemy."
Man #2: "Then who are you?"

4) “The wind’s blowing me in another direction, and there ain’t no use arguing with the wind.”

Five points for the correct name of each movie. Five bonus points if you can name the common thread (and, trust me, in this case if you can name the movies, you can name the thread).

I'll be back Friday with the final round.

0 comments: