July 15, 2012

I remember reading somewhere once that twins are more prone to be born in black families, and from the time I was a kid I always thought it remarkable that the wife of one of my cousins gave birth to two sets of fraternal twin girls.  But then there were no twins for something like 50 years.

That all changed last year, when my nephew's wife gave birth to boy-and-girl twins, who recently celebrated their first birthday.  I spent a lot of time with them when I was in Florida last February (and was automatically given a senior discount while shopping with one of them in my cart...I suppose the cashier reasoned that I couldn't possibly be the mom, so I must be the grandmother!)  This was taken around the time they turned 1:



We were all delighted when my niece announced that she and her husband were expecting identical twin girls in July.  I hoped they would make their debut in time for my birthday, but they did even better--they were born on the 101st anniversary of the birth of their great-grandfather (my dad), which pleased all of us, especially my mom.  I hope to see them this fall, and I can't wait! 



So, after no twins in the Griffin family for half a century, we have had two sets within 14 months, and our first identicals.  We're already wondering who will be next, and if it will be yet another multiple birth...

0 comments: