Guest Blogger: Marcia King-Gamble





I am pleased to report that a reasonable return to normalcy is right around the corner. Right now I'm preparing for six glorious days in San Diego, in which I'll get my first look at the Blue Pacific. My laptop is going with me, since I do have an August 1st deadline. When we return we will have a marathon unpacking session, but vacation before work. California here I come!

In the meantime, here is esteemed author Marcia King-Gamble with some valuable tips on finding time to write:

---------------------

I’ve heard a million excuses about what’s preventing you from sitting down and writing that novel that’s been percolating in your head. The ranges of excuses run from - “I have no time,” to “I have a full time job,” to “My kids are keeping me busy.” Bull!

What’s holding you back is you. Published authors have lives, kids, full time jobs (sometimes more than 2.) They have significant others who expect dinner on the table. They have interests outside of writing. They take vacations, volunteer, and mentor other writers.

One well known author has a full time high pressure management job. She wakes up every morning at 3.00 a.m. to work on her novel. Another New York Times Bestseller raises five kids, travels to give presentations, and still manages to release three to four books a year.

Another author has a special needs child that requires her undivided attention. There are authors that are surgeons, practicing attorneys and executives. They hold positions where a forty hour work week is unheard of; sixty hours being more the norm. There are those with controlling husbands requiring 100 percent of their time. Some are sight and hearing impaired, and others are confined to wheelchairs. Yet they find time to write and creatively manage their time.

When I first started writing I had a very demanding job which took me out of the country as much as twice a week. My boss expected a hundred percent commitment, and my husband at the time expected the sun to rise and shine on him. My stress level was high and I made time for the gym. Additionally, I was freelance reading for a well known publisher. I didn’t have kids, but I had pets, friends and hobbies.

How did I do it? I carved out time each day. You can do so as well. I wrote every day regardless of what was going on. The world could be going to hell around me but I was going to write. At times it meant getting up in the wee hours of the morning. At times it meant lugging a laptop everywhere I went. I wrote at airports between flights. I wrote in long hand and oftentimes on a paper bag. I stayed up late at night.

I brought lunch to the office and found a quiet nook. In urban cities I took public transportation because it gave me time to write. I developed the discipline to write every day, and now I can write under the most adverse conditions. I can tune out noises and hold a conversation with you while typing that manuscript. By establishing a regular routine I’ve learned to write faster.

If you set yourself a goal of say one page a day. You’ll have a novel by the end of the year. Carve out a half an hour in your day and disappear where no one can find you. Turn off that cell phone and don’t answer e mails. Give yourself the chance to live your dream. Maybe next year I’ll see you at an upcoming conference signing that book right next to me.

Good luck!

-------------------

Great advice, Marcia! Be sure to check out Marcia's novels, including her upcoming (August 1st) Kimani Romance, Meet Phoenix. And visit Marcia's web site as well!

I'm outta here. I'll be back to the blog on Tuesday. A good week to all!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post. As with anything else you just have to "make" time.