In Celebration of Authors

As I sit here with my bronchitis, listening to my chest rattle and stuffing myself with a bunch of fattening foods under the guise of, "I'm have to eat to keep up my strength!" while I watch a bunch of old Robert Montgomery movies (he was the father of Elizabeth Montgomery, the star of Bewitched, and quite the movie star in his day), it occurs to me that just about like every day, week, or month represents recognition for something or somebody. Black History Month, Frozen Food Month, National Condom Week, Give a Kid a Smile Day, Poison Prevention Week, and this week, which is Medical Transcriptionist Week (that's me, y'all!)

Anyway, I'd like to declare some recognition of my own and deem today Author Appreciation Day.

One of the nicest things about being a published author is the people I've met over the years. Usually when authors say this they are referring to the readers, and while I appreciate all the readers, in this particular case I'm talking about other published authors. I'm not trying to sell anybody a bill of goods about there being no competition between authors; I think we all know better than that. But my experiences have mostly been good ones, and I'd like to take this opportunity to give a few shout-outs to the following people:

Marcia King-Gamble, who sent me an email of encouragement shortly after my very first novel was published. I'll never forget that kind gesture. I haven't seen Marcia in quite a while now - I think the last time was a lunch at the Cheesecake Factory in South Florida, but we communicate fairly regularly and I have no doubt that we'll cross paths again.

Sean D. Young, who was a reader when she first emailed me about one of my early books (probably A Love of Her Own, she's always said that's her favorite). It's been about 10 years, and she is still a good friend. Sean would come whenever I did a signing in the Northwest Indiana area, and after she became published we did a few signings together. A talented graphic artist in her other life, Sean designed the cover for my upcoming Save the Best For Last.

Reon Laudat, who sent me an e-mail of support for something or other quite a while ago. We have yet to meet face-to-face, and she recently did me a tremendous favor (for which she will be properly thanked once I'm up and about).

Donna Hill, who graciously provided me with a quote about my novel Once Upon A Project, which will be featured on the mass market edition when it comes out late next winter. Another thank-you will soon be on its way to her.

Angie Daniels. She and I shared our excitement and experiences about writing women's fiction for Dafina, which we started doing at about the same time.

Gwyneth Bolton, who regularly visited and posted on my blog when I was establishing it. I'm pleased to say that I met Gwyneth at the Slam Jam in Chicago last year, and she's as charming in person as she is on paper.

I appreciate you all. There are many others who just make me feel good by smiling at me, and so if I've left anyone out, blame it on the bronchitis.

I'm going to be taking it easy the next few days. Enjoy your long weekend. Ill be back sometime next week!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thx for the shout-out, Bettye. :-) And feel better soon.

I'm mourning the "American Idol" finale results from last night :-( but looking forward to Adam's first CD.--Reon

Ladysilver said...

Enjoy your weekend as well. I appreciate you and all of the other authors out there. The gift of story telling is a wonderful gift and I appreciate all who share it with the world.

Angie Daniels said...

Bettye, another wonderful review. I definitely love the cover! We've been emailing for years and I feel like I know you but we still have yet to meet. Kudos.
Angie D.

bettye griffin said...

Thank you, Reon and Angie!

Ladysilver, I, too, feel that storytelling and imagination are gifts. And isn't it nice to know that the authors you like to read are genuinely nice people, to boot?

DonnaD said...

Hi Bettye,

I hope you're feeling better soon and enjoying the Robert Montgomery marathon. He was in a movie last night, "The Lady in the Lake." I didn't care for it so I changed the channel and came back for "West Side Story."

It's always a pleasure to chat with you either via email or in person. (And thanks for the shout-out in "NKOB"; totally unexpected and totally cool.)

I'll be emailing you later today about some developments.

Thanks for Author Appreciation Day! Have a great long weekend!

bettye griffin said...

Glad you enjoyed seeing your name, Donna! I deliberately didn't tell you about it when you came to my signing; I wanted you to be surprised.