Movie Trivia #2 and answers to #1



First, let's go over the answers to Friday's questions:

1) "Rosebud."






This line came from Citizen Kane (1941), widely regarded as a masterpiece. For some reason I could never get into it. TCM played it this morning. This film was based on the life of newspaper mogul William Randolph Hearst, who was still alive at the time of its release and tried everything in his considerable power to block it. The story has persisted for years that "rosebud" was Hearst's pet name for a particular body part of his longtime mistress. I guess only the two of them knew whether that was truth or rumor.


2) "Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."




This line came from my husband's favorite movie, Patton (1970). I'm not much for war movies, but George C. Scott's opening monologue as General George Patton is just spellbinding.



3) "Last night, I dreamt I went to Manderley again."




This line came from the Hitchcock classic Rebecca (1940). This is a wonderfully made movie. If you've never seen it, please check it out.

The common link between all these lines is that they are the first words spoken in their respective movies.


Both Patricia and Donna got everything correct and are tied at 20 points apiece. Girls, if you're the only two who end up playing, this is going to be very easy!


Now, for today's questions:


Quote 1) Woman #1: "What're you in here for, stealing flowers? What'd you do, steal candy from the girl scouts?"
Woman #2: "I murdered 18 men."


Quote 2) Man #1: "You wouldn't kill me in cold blood, would you?"
Man #2: "No, I'll let you warm up a little."


Quote 3) "I don't like it here. I'm tired of being afraid all the time. I've decided not to stay. I doubt they'll kick up any fuss. Not for an old crook like me."


5 points for the correct name of each film where these quotes came from. 5 bonus points if you can correctly guess the the link between the lines/films. Answers/new questions to be posted on Wednesday, 2/24/2010. Good luck!

4 comments:

Katrina said...

For quote #3 it is Shawshank Redemption. I think the link to all the answers is that these are prison movies.

DonnaD said...

Yeah, this is going to be tougher!

Movie 1: Madea Goes to Jail
Movie 2: White Heat
Movie 3: Shawshank Redemption

If I have guess the link between the three movies, it's that all the lines are spoken by criminals, convicts or ex-cons. Certainly jail has a common thread.

PatriciaW said...

Okay, see I knew they would get tougher.

The first one is easy because that's from Madea Goes to Jail.

The last one is easy because that's from one of my favorites, The Shawshank Redemption.

The middle one? Not so much.

I'm betting all of these are conversations that take place in a prison.

Shelia Goss said...

These are some good ones.