Keeping House

I'm in what I call the home stretch of writing my next mainstream (for a 2008 release). This is the time when I'm supposed to cross all the Is and dot all the Ts. And when I have to get everything organized.

I don't write in sequence. Never have. Sometimes a scene niggles and nags at me until I get it written. So I write it and get it out of the way. I do try to keep the scenes organized in my manuscript as I work on it, but this doesn't always work out. What's more likely is that the end of my manuscript file is a jumble of unrelated scenes, sometimes single lines of dialogue that I decided will have a place in my finished manuscript . . . I'm just not sure where. I'm always glad I wrote them, but trying to decide where to put them is frustrating.

How about you? Do you write your novels or works in progress in sequence?

3 comments:

Kara Lennox said...

Hi, Bettye. Thanks for visiting the HAR Authors Blog. I write all my scenes in order. I write a synopsis and story board the book early on in the process, then just write it. In the revision process I might rearrange, delete, or add scenes, but the first time through it's strictly in order!

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Great topic, Bettye! For the most part, I write in sequence. I usually write the first half by the seat of my pants and then plot out the last half and finish the novel. For some reason my writing flows well until about the middle and then I need to plot it through to finish. But since I'm trying to sell based on proposals now, I'm trying to write up a detailed synopsis. So that my change the way I write all together. Who know, I might even break the sequence once I have a nice chart to follow. LOL.

Gwyneth

bettye griffin said...

Kara and Gwyneth,
Thanks for your comments. I work from a synopsis (which I use to sell the project in the first place), and still never write in sequence. This afternoon, I had a wonderful output of two complete scenes plus the beginning of a third. I've bridged several scenes written earlier and worked them into the story, so I've had a very productive day. I also took time to reacquaint myself with the synopsis that I wrote last summer, and was surprised by a couple of plot points I'd forgotten about. I decided I still like them, so I'll stick to it!

Happy writing to us all!