Halloween and NaNoWriMo...all in one weekend

It's a rarity, like when the Kentucky Derby (first Saturday in May) and Mother's Day (second Sunday in May) both hit the same weekend.

I'm skipping Halloween this year. Bought two sacks of candy last year and when no trick-or-treaters showed up, ended up eating it all myself. I'm not doing that again. There are kids all over this subdivision, and a lot of folks have decorated their lawns with pumpkins, tombstones, skeletons, netting, and the like. I just don't know where the kids go for the holiday. My job is having what sounds like a very nice party at some club overlooking Lake Michigan, and we can even bring a guest, but I'm working tonight. Just as well. Hubby isn't feeling so hot today. It's practically impossible to drag him out on a Friday night even on a good day...

I'm all ready for NaNoWriMo. I've been working on a second independent project for less than a week and can't believe how fast it's going, 6,000 words already. I know I can't keep up this pace, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. Of course, with NaNoWriMo you're not supposed to begin the project until midnight November 1st, but I don't mind bending the rule a little. If I can get 50,000 words in, I'll be thrilled!

What about you? Any plans for Halloween? And do you NaNoWriMo?

2 comments:

PatriciaW said...

No plans for Halloween. May take the kids trick-or-treating. May...if I'm not worn out from the usual weekend errands.

I'm like you. I'm using the energy of NaNo to make significant progress on my wip. Who cares if that's breaking the rules? Good authors know when and how... ;)

bettye griffin said...

Not a single trick-or-treater, Patricia! Glad I skipped the candy.

Did just 962 words for NaNo on the 1st. I'm probably behind if 50,000 words is divided into 30 days, but that's all right!