Wait 'til it happens to you

I've been transcribing medical reports for many years now. One of the things that always amazed me was the things people get stuck in their ears. Insects, earrings, peas (little kids do play with their food), just about any small object can slip down that ear canal. Of course, I'd never have such an incident...

Yeah, right. Last Thursday, getting dressed for a funeral in Indiana, a defective Q-tip came apart in my ear, and my husband couldn't even see it, much less attempt to get it out. Because we had somewhere to be and I didn't really feel it, I went on with my day. I knew it would have to come out within a couple of days (before infection set in) at the emergency room, but like most people, I put off going.

By Sunday night I had an odd sensation whenever I swallowed, and I knew the time had come to seek medical attention. The physician assistant got it out quite easily with a nurse holding a light for her. The moment it was out I was back to normal. The PA cautioned me against putting anything inside my ear, and I was discharged.

Do any of you guys actually insert Q-tips inside your ear, or just along the outer rim? Have any of you every gotten anything stuck in your ear? Did you have it removed immediately, or did you wait a few days? How did it make you feel?

3 comments:

PatriciaW said...

Oooh, glad that didn't turn out to be more than it was. Yeah, I push the Q-tips in but not very far. Probably doesn't take much though to have one break off. I just can't stand to feel like my ears are dirty.

shelia said...

I just finished cleaning my ear out with a Q tip. I fear one breaking off because I've had to have a tube in my ear before and it wasn't a good feeling at all. Like Patricia, I hate to feel like my ear is dirty too so I use Q-tips. My biggest fear though is to have a bug fly in my ear.

bettye griffin said...

Patricia and Shelia, I know just how you feel. That feeling that the wax is just building up inside your ear...ugh! And Shelia, you might be surprised at how many people show up at the ER with insects in their ear canals! Happens all the time in the summer.