One Voice: Tribute to Jon Lucien





All you jazz fans out there will want to know that we've lost a beautiful voice, that of Jon Lucien. The Tortola-born, St. Thomas-raised singer who specialized in jazz with a Caribbean and Brazilian twist passed away at the age of 65 in Florida, where he lived.



I got to see him perform live many years ago at a club/restaurant on Columbus Aveue in New York (was it The Cellar? It was so long ago I can't remember; I was married to my first husband at the time, and most of that is a blur). He wasn't the most exciting performer I've ever seen, singing with his eyes closed and barely moving, but that baritone voice was thrilling. He leaves a legacy of romantic music. His version of the French love song Dindi (Pronounced "Jin-jee") will live on smooth jazz forever.

In death, he joins two daughters who were killed on TWA Flight 800, which went down off the coast of Long Island in 1996.

Rest in peace. You will not be forgotten.

0 comments: