Talk about making it all worthwhile

I write for letters like this one from a reader in Norfolk, Virginia:

"I'm not an avid book reader, but your Save The Best For Last had me curled up on my bed refusing to put the book down. I read the book and it seemed like I was in a movie. Keep up the good work. Enjoyed a lonely evening as if company was there."

These words, particularly the beautifully worded last sentence, literally brought tears to my eyes. Someone shelled out hard-earned money to buy my book, based on just the cover and excerpt I provided . . . and what's more, she felt it, to the point where the characters felt so real it was as if they were there with her.

It's enough to make me get all sniffly all over again . . . .

5 comments:

DonnaD said...

Those are the best kinds of compliments. It provides just the right push to keep on writing. Kudos Bettye!

Katrina said...

It always feels good when readers get your books, when they understand your character's motives, and become so entranced that they're actually sad to put the book down. It does make all hard work worthwhile.

bettye griffin said...

It really does make me want to churn out the pages, Donna and Katrina! Thanks for commenting.

Lori said...

Yes, letters and notes like those make you smile and keep you humble.

bettye griffin said...

Lori, it literally made me cry tears of joy!