Chewing the Fat on Friday

My third post of the day. My, I've got a lot to say!

When I realized that I'm over two-thirds into my WIP, I realized that I'd better start thinking about the ending. With three separate subplots to wrap up, that last 30K can get eaten up very quickly.

I'm happy to say that The Idea Fairy hit two days ago, in pieces. One story's end came to me while I was driving to work. The other came to me while I was working after lunch. The last subplot came that night, as I was pouring out the first two onto the computer. This was thrilling for me; it means I can start polishing my synopsis and get it to my agent. I don't have to finish the manuscript; all I was waiting for was the ending to come to me. Completing a book that's two-thirds written will not be a problem, when the time comes (I'm optimistic; can you tell?)

Which reminds me, it's time for an updated count. Drum roll, please . . . .

WIP

Roughly 6,200 words since last week's count. I can live with that.

What comes next, you ask? Polish the synopsis (trim the fat, give it personality, sharpen its wit), send it to my agent, then work on another project. This next WIP isn't new; I was working on it simultaneously with the WIP referenced above before I concentrated on the one hardest to write.

I'll be rising early this weekend, as usual, but there doesn't appear to be a whole lot on TCM this weekend. I'll probably tune into Flower Drum Song on Sunday morning. I liked this movie even as a child because, like, A Raisin in the Sun, its cast was almost completely non-white (in this case Asian). It also has Juanita Hall, a favorite of Rodgers & Hammerstein (she had a prominent part in their South Pacific as well) and one of the relatively few black people without Asian blood who could believably pass for Chinese. (Ms. Hall worked with teens in Tarrytown, New York, in the 1920s (including my father), giving them pointers on voice.) I love the scene when she is on the phone ordering thousand-day-old eggs from the grocer and admonishes, "And make sure they're fresh!"

But the best movie will not air until Tuesday, November 20th, when TCM presents The Bad and the Beautiful at 8PM ET. (I mentioned a quote from it in my previous post.) Pay attention to the music; it's one of the most memorable movie scores ever written.

So much for chewing the fat on writing and entertainment. Now on to trimming the fat, the overeating season has officially begun. My job's cafeteria offered a Thanksgiving dinner yesterday, the last day for many people until after the holiday. A fabulous meal, with my choice of three sides to go with my turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce, and dinner roll. I enjoyed it immensely and ate every bite, but oh, those calories.

To combat the extra intake, I've initiated what I call the 12-step program. No, I'm not an alcoholic. I'm taking the stairs at work. I'm on the third floor, and between each floor there are two flights of 12 steps apiece. I go up those 48 steps when I get in in the morning and down when I leave at night. I also make at least three trips up and down during the day, which I will slowly increase. I've gotten to the point where I can climb up without getting short of breath, much less having to stop to gasp for air (which I did in the beginning).

I should see some results in a month or so . . . provided my knees hold out.
Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

PatriciaW said...

Do you find it hard to jump back into a story when you've put it aside to wait for word of acceptance?

We had an office luncheon yesterday too. I felt like Scrooge but I passed on it. I'm determined not to end this holiday season with the same weight-related funk I do every year.

I'm with you on the 12-step program. Mine is an 85-step program, which I fell off a few weeks ago. But I'm starting up again on Monday.

bettye griffin said...

Wow, 85 steps. Makes my little 48 steps seem puny. But if you're getting back into that after falling off, be sure to ease on into it!

No, for me it's easy to jump back into a story I haven't looked at in a while. Right after I congratulate myself on doing such a good job (I'm not kidding; I'm usually impressed), I get right back into the spirit and mood of the plot.