Bettye's Inquiring Mind Wants to Know

The name of my book to be released in 2008 has been changed, something that happens fairly often in the industry. I originally called it The First Fifty Years, because the theme is turning 50 (yes, an idea straight out of real life). The marketing department at the publisher was concerned that this would be a turn-off for the younger demographic. We tossed around a few titles, and it looks like we going to go with Once Upon a Project (because a key element is that the women met as children over 40 years before, when all their families lived in a low-income housing project on the South Side of Chicago).

I can understand their concerns about not wishing to alienate a significant portion of the buying public, but this does get my typical writer's mind wondering. I'm going to go out on a limb here – I have no statistics to back me up and am speaking purely from what I've seen – and say that a high percentage of contemporary novels today are about people in their twenties and thirties. I recently read a page-turner about college students (if you're curious, it was Kayla Perrin's mystery, We'll Never Tell), and while I enjoyed it very much, the fact that the characters were young enough to be my daughters did not escape me.

Which brings me to the question: Would you be likely to pick up a book about middle-aged folks, or can you relate (or do you simply prefer) storylines revolving around younger characters? If so, how young?

8 comments:

Cashana said...

I like a good storyline, the ages of the characters do not matter to me if the story is intriguing.

Anonymous said...

Age, like race, is not really a factor for me. A nice cover grabs my attention if I know nothing about the book or the author. The story/plot blurb on the back and the writing style on the first couple of pages reel me in. I can tell you what turns me off. Foul language in the very FIRST sentence I read. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with some profanity in a book if it fits the characters and is not gratuitous or just thrown in there for shock or for "oooh-weee" factor. Something about having it as the very first line really turns me off. My pet peeve. I've put down MANY books lately because of this.

Anonymous said...

Bettye,
You're right about many books being of the "younger age" group but it's the content of the book that matters. We of the 50+ age group will be looking forward to your new book. We'll definitely relate to it.

Fern

bettye griffin said...

Cashana, Reon, and Fern,
Thanks for your comments.

Cashana, I was hoping most people would say what you did!

Reon, I agree. I'd be turned off by a book that started off with profanity. What's more, I wouldn't have liked this any more when I was 25 than I would now! (Can I get an "oo-wee"?)

Fern, Thanks for supporting me, in the past and in the future, and for pointing out that error I made in my first paragraph. I broke my own rule . . . posted without reading over what I typed. That's what happens when I'm rushing.

Bettye

PatriciaW said...

Bettye, have to break the mold and say it depends.

I read novels with heroines younger, my age (middle 40s), and older than me. Depends on the story. I do find myself, however, turning away from the just out of high school/college age stories, as I do the older-than-69 stories. It's just where my head is at -- falling in love, getting married, having children, making it through the middle years.

But it really depends because I'm starting to read more YA novels, as I read with my preteen. Gotta be a good story, well-written, though.

bettye griffin said...

Sounds good to me, Pat! I'm not quite ready to build a novel around a senior yet. (I'm not sure this has even been done, unless the novel contains lots of flashbacks to the heroine's younger days . . . a sort of life reflection-type thing with the younger generation prominently featured).

BTW, I think it's great that you read with your child.

Donna D said...

I don't mind what age the character is as long as the story is good. Personally, I think it folows that where I am in my life is the type of story I'll ready. Since I'm pushing 40, I relate more to stories where the main characters are thirty/forty-something as opposed to twenty-something. But again, if the story is good, I'll read anything.

bettye griffin said...

Donna,
The great majority of my novels have featured 30-somethings, right up your alley! The manuscript I just finished has the oldest characters I've written, 50-ish, but that's probably a one-time deal and I'll go back writing about younger folks. But I would like to do something multigenerational, a "something for everybody" type of deal.

Thanks for commenting!