Who's Patronizing Who?

I went to the store this morning (at 6AM, actually when I realized I'd run out of detergent and bleach), and noticed that the cashier appeared to be looking at me expectantly when she handed me my receipt. I told her I wanted my liquid detergent and bleach to be bagged. She acquiesed, then looked at me again. I realized that she was waiting for me to say "Thank you." I took my bags and left.

This is ridiculous. My coming to her place of employment helps to keep the damn place open. Because of the money I spend, she has a job. Yet she looks at me like she's waiting for me to thank her.

I've noticed this type of behavior in many a cashier lately, and I don't get it. I can remember the days when employees used to thank their patrons. One store had the lettering over their exit, "Thank you for your patronage." This seems to have gone the way of $1.25 a gallon gas.

For the record, I'm not an oaf. I don't expect people to get out of my way when I'm coming through. I excuse myself when I bump into people. But I'll be damned if I'll thank someone for spending my money at their place of business.

Is it just me, or has society become a lot more demanding these days?

0 comments: