What are you doing the rest of your life?

Today I got the news I'd been waiting for.

If you read my blog regularly you know that a few months back I learned that my romance publisher, the Arabesque line (most recently owned by Harlequin), was dropping me. I have been waiting for an explanation ever since, and quite frankly, I was beginning to think I'd never get one.

I confess that this treatment did give rise to some "What's wrong with me all of a sudden?" feelings, although I couldn't imagine why. My sales have been respectable, especially considering that my romances are missing much of the fantasy element that many readers adore. I haven't cussed anybody out or done anything otherwise to tick them off. So why was I getting the shaft, and why no explanation other than some vague mumbo-jumbo?

That syndrome didn't last very long. I took a peek at the upcoming title list, and it doesn't take a Ph.D. in neuroscience to figure out what direction the imprint is headed and why I don't fit into it. But it's nice to hear it directly from the horse's mouth (well, directly through an intermediary), even semi-officially.

So what happens to my writing career as far as romance is concerned? (My mainstream is alive and well, in case you're wondering.) Where do I fit in? Do I even want to fit in?

What I'm going to do right now is nothing. I'll be Fedexing a manuscript in the mail to my mainstream publisher early next week (because I want it there by Friday and I'm too cheap to use anything but Ground service), and then I'm going on vacation with my husband and celebrate my birthday. I'm turning fifty and will probably ponder a lot of things in the coming weeks, like what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Time isn't exactly running short, but at this point it's safe to say that there are more yesterdays than tomorrows. I don't necessarily want to spend it trying to fit in.

6 comments:

PatriciaW said...

I wasn't aware, Bettye, so I had to browse backward to find your previous post.

Sorry to hear. I understand not wanting to bad mouth a publisher so I won't ask why but I will ask you to elaborate on a comment you made here.

What do you see as the direction in which Arabseque is going?

bettye griffin said...

Pat,
I see reissues of earlier novels by the biggest names in black romance (Rochelle Alers, Francis Ray, Brenda Jackson).

Anonymous said...

It's sad that they could not or would not give you an explanation. At least they could have told your agent what the siutation was.

I wonder if there's some internal discussion on big profit-makers vs. not-so-big profit-makers that has made them change course. I hope you'll continue to fill us in - without slamming them - on the situation as it unfolds.

PatriciaW said...

I have noticed that they're doing a lot of reissues, and that there's not much difference between the Kimani Arabesque and Kimani Romance lines.

Here's to onward and upward with your mainstream publisher. I saw your book in the bookstore and almost screamed. (Kinda cool to feel like I "know" the author.) Didn't have enough pennies on me that day but I'm going back.

bettye griffin said...

Donna,
I actually did get my answer, and it was a rather nice one that doesn't reflect on me personally. That's all I want to say for now (there are other considerations in play here) . . . but I will make another post when I feel it's appropriate to do so. But if you "read between the lines" you may be able to figure out what it's all about.

Sorry to sound so cryptic and mysterious.

Bottom line, I'm feeling a lot better now than I was a month ago.

bettye griffin said...

Pat,
You have to let me know what you thought of the book after you've had a chance to read it.

I'm sure we'll get to meet one day!