Soon-to-be-Bestseller

I just saw that Blair Underwood has written a novel. He collaborated on it along with veteran writers Tananarive (always wondered if the first part of her name rhymes with banana?) Due and Steven Barnes.

Nothing against Blair Underwood. We have the same initials and the same last name (the one I use in my other life away from writing), and for all I know he's related to my husband; for even though my husband shares more of a physical resemblance with Terence Howard, he and Blair have the same shaped ears, which run on the Underwood side of the family . . . but I digress. Blair (I can't bring myself to call him "Underwood") is hardly the first celebrity to pen a novel, work of nonfiction, or a children's book. But I can't help wondering if he had to write two or three complete manuscripts before getting a deal, or if he was able to get an agent and publisher largely on the strength of his name recognition (and his undeniably talented collaborators). The size of his name on the book jacket versus his more experienced co-authors tells me it's otherwise.

For all I know, Blair really sweated over his part of the manuscript. Or maybe he's just a naturally gifted writer, and the words flowed like the Chicago River and barely needed work at all. But there are an awful lot of celebrity-penned books out there other than their own biographies, and I suspect that every one of them had an easier time getting in print than your average slob who's burning the midnight oil to finish their project. And I'll say this . . . they can't all be that talented.

7 comments:

PatriciaW said...

Blair Underwood. Sometimes he is very attractive and sometimes he appears as though something is quite right with his features. Just my take.

Anyway, I'm betting on his star power, along with the credibility of his co-writers.

Did you notice that a lot of celebrities are writing books too? For a while it was children's books, despite that being an even harder market to crack than romance, or so I'm told.
Now it's novels. Bishop T.D. Jakes, Joyce Meyers, Blair Underwood, Dr. Ian Smith... Maybe these folks are great writers. Maybe we shouldn't assume that they're not because they've achieve celebrity/fame/fortune in some other venue.

bettye griffin said...

You bet I noticed! Everybody and their mama is writing a book these days! You're right, Pat, we probably shouldn't automatically assume they're no-talents cashing in on their names. I did allude to this in my original post. Don't want to sound like sour grapes toward those who can sit down and create a really well-written book. But I still have to wonder . . . can all these celebs writing novels possibly be that talented? I'm more inclined to think that the Bishop and the Doctor did their own work; their respective professions require them to have a way with words. But all these other folks who have written books (and there's lots of them). . . .?

We'll never know who's really writing and who's getting a lot of help. But no one can deny that it's a lot easier for a person with a famous name to get those publishing doors to open than it is for the average writer.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

I'll say one thing, he picked the right people to co-author the novel with him. I love Tananarive Due's novels. She's an amazing writer. And the novels I've read by her husband, Steve Barnes are also wonderfully written. He picked two very talented authors to team up with. :-)

Gwyneth

bettye griffin said...

I learned something today, Gwyneth! I've heard of both of these authors, but didn't realize they were married.

Now, if I only knew how to pronounce Ms. Due's first name . . . .

Gwyneth Bolton said...

I forgot to say that the "Tanana" is pronounced like banana and the "rive" is like the Reeve in Christopher Reeves' name. Does that help?

Gwyneth

bettye griffin said...

It sure does, Gwyneth. Thanks for clearing up what has been a mystery to me for years!

Anonymous said...

It's not just that they're writing books, they're creating whole publishing cottages! 50 Cent has his own imprint putting out urban fiction. Seriously!

I don't necessarily knock the celebrity writers. Those books sell on the strength of the celebrity and some are pretty good. It makes the publishers money, whereas us unknows don't bring in the dough - yet.