Feels Like Another One (scandal, that is)

Political scandals aren't new, but I'll tell you this. Whether it's a Democrat or Republican, a blow job in the White House, a solicitation for gay sex in a public restroom, or a call to a hooker . . .

I do empathize for the wife who stands by her husband in the face of a very public humiliation. Look at the expression on Silda Wall Spitzer's face; she'd clearly rather be anywhere but there. These men all owe their wives big time (although Dina McGreevey, wife of former New Jersey governor, is in the process of getting divorced after Jim McGreevey was revealed to have had an affair with a male aide).

Will Smith once said that he has tried to live his life as if he planned to one day run for U.S. President - i.e., nothing that can be thrown up in his face. I haven't lived in New York in nearly 20 years and haven't kept up with local politics, but I'm hearing that Eliot Spitzer often comes off as a holier-than-thou type. He should have thought like Will.

Maybe this will take some of the attention off of a race for the Democratic Presidential nomination that is fast becoming just plain silly. I thought it was incredibly nervy of Hillary and Bill Clinton to speculate on a Clinton/Obama ticket (in that order, naturally). Said Obama today: “I don’t know how somebody who’s in second place can offer the vice presidency to someone who’s in first place.” Stick to your guns, Barack. Hillary needs you to win much more than you need her to do the same.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bettye,
Political sex scandals such as this are getting to be so old hat these days they bore me. That includes our mayor's sex text-message scandal that's costing the city approximately $9 mil 'cause he tried to cover it up by settling a lawsuit. What's done in the dark...When I saw this bit today about Spitzer all I did was shrug and say, "Gee, his wife looks like she could be Jennifer Anistion's older sister." I think it's the hair.

Reon :-)

Lori said...

This is getting kind of old, isn't it? For a change of pace, I'd love to see one of these long-suffering wives shuck the whole tired, play-out "Stand By Your Man" routine and pull a straight-up, public hissy fit (smile).

Something along the lines of, "Hey, later for this! You didn't need me when you were getting into that mess," would actually be somwhat refreshing (LOL).

PatriciaW said...

I was struck by her completely defeated and worn out posture. How difficult it must be for her! They have children to consider, as do most of these guys who get caught. I'm not saying a hissy fit isn't warranted but again, what you do in public will forever be thrown in your face and those of your children.

Spitzer was the straight arrow guy in NY who was going to clean up NY politics at the highest level. Maybe politics and high office are just too much pressure for some people. It's like the dam that springs a major leak, most frequently in the area of their sexual lives.

bettye griffin said...

Reon, My goodness, you're right! Silda Spitzer does look like an older Jennifer Aniston!

Lori, That scenario would be a refreshing change of pace . . . and Lord knows the bastard would have it coming. Humiliation can work both ways, right? I remember cheering for Lee Hart years ago when she refused to appear at her husband Gary's side at a political event after photos of him with Donna Rice were published. The campaign put out something about how she had an "ear infection" and couldn't fly. Yeah, right.

Patricia, "defeated and worn out posture" is a very accurate description for this woman. It really has to hurt to find out something so painful about a husband you loved and trusted. I admit to having a hunch that the Larry Craig marriage to a widow who at the time had young children is a sham ("I'll take care of you and your kids if you'll be my wife for political purposes, but I like men"), but I find myself feeling sorry for Hillary Clinton, who has been keeping a very low profile in the wake of all of this. Naturally, the news discussion shows showed clips of Bill's famous "I-did-not-have-sexual-relations-with-that-woman" declaration in the montage of politicians caught up in scandals. Naturally, she doesn't want to have that old stuff dragged up again.

Thanks for posting, all!

Anonymous said...

I feel sorry for his wife. I don't know if I would have been able to stand there, but then again, she did have one of those "looks" on her face. What was he thinking? He wasn't. Like some men, he was thinking with the wrong head. The same folks who talked about Clinton are the same ones whose dirt is being revealed. Wrong is wrong but there's no sense in acting holier than though when you have bones in your own closet.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

I agree it is becoming old hat, huh... That telling when we don't even become shocked by this stuff anymore...

Gwyneth

bettye griffin said...

Shelia, I was struck by the extent of the dislike so many politicians have for this man. They had no problems with expressing it. When that one man said he hoped Eliot Spitzer's hell was hotter than anyone else's, I almost found myself feeling sorry for the guy. I've since learned that he has indeed presented himself as one without sin, and his many enemies are delighted at his downfall.

Gwyneth, I actually think this one genuinely shocked many people, probably because of the irony of his unmercifully going after prostitution rings. But you're right, the general picture of the contrite politician with his stoic wife standing beside him is an increasingly common one.