The Home Stretch

Once Upon A Project makes its official debut five weeks from today. I’m in the home stretch, when early reviews start coming in from readers and organizations. APOOO gave it two thumbs up, as mentioned in Yasmin Coleman’s column on Blogging in Black this past weekend. I eagerly looked at the recently updated May RT ratings online, only to find that it wasn’t reviewed for that issue and I'll have to wait another month at least to see what they say.

It’s also time to put promotion in full gear. I confess, I started thinking about ways to promote this book early on. I’ve never done of this – it’s the writing process I adore, and any illusions of being a superstar in a very crowded field were short-lived. I did know that for this book I wanted to do something. Last fall, before I even had a clear picture of what I was going to do, I started putting $15 a week (as a contract employee, I get a paycheck every week) away toward my budget.

There’s dozens of services out there vying for those author promotion dollars. I had to decide which ones to pass on and which ones to grab. Making a choice is a very personal decision, since what works for one writer won't necessarily work for the next one.

Book trailers are fun to make, but I've been slow getting the finishing touches on mine. My husband's been slowly recovering from the flu and is attending an off-site conference all this week. Maybe I can get him to finish it this weekend and get it posted on YouTube and my web site. All he's got to do is add the music and credits. I originally had this targeted for mid-February. It'll now be closer to early April. But at least it's not costing me anything.

I’m generally not a conference person for the most part. It never seemed like a good economical decision to attend RT, and I let my membership in RWA lapse two years ago when I relocated. I always suspected – and from what I’ve heard other authors publicly state, I wasn’t too far off the mark – that I wouldn’t be able to give books away at these events where black authors writing books with black characters aren’t exactly in demand. Therefore, it seemed pointless and money better spent elsewhere (and not necessarily to promote my writing).

I always wanted to go to the Harlem Book Fair, but that mid-July date has proved problematic for me. Three years ago my stepson got married that weekend. Two years ago I moved my annual Hamptons vacation to August so it would coincide with my aunt’s 90th birthday party in my hometown of Yonkers (and one trip to New York per year is, quite frankly, sufficient). Last year my husband and I went away in late June/early July to coincide with my 50th birthday, and another trip two weeks later was out of the financial question. This year mid-July will find us vacationing in San Diego and hopefully Baja California (provided my husband gets his passport) at an informal high school reunion his classmates from Thailand put together. Maybe I’ll get to Harlem in mid-July eventually, but it won’t be this year.

I did decide to attend the Romance Slam Jam (or at least part of it; since I’ve got a Thursday evening signing scheduled on the South Side and a Friday lunchtime signing scheduled in downtown Chicago), which is being held just 30 miles from my home and just a few days after my new book’s release date. The possible downside to this is the very real possibility that the book vendor might not receive my brand new book in time for the signing. That means getting on the phone and seeing if the publisher can send me my author copies quickly so I’ll have a backup . . . and since that's no guarantee either, I still might end up sitting at the signing book-less and pissed.

I’m always getting offers from people to do e-mail blasts, most of which I’ve resisted. These services can be rather costly, and with uncertain results. Many of them claim to have thousands and thousands of people listed on their databases, but I know that doesn’t mean that all those folks are reading their e-mail. How many times have I erased newsletters advertising new books from these same people without even opening them? The service I utilize to send my monthly e-mails to my subscribers offers statistics that show that a full one-third of the people who signed up have yet to open it.

In the end I decided to go with two such services because I believed they were a good bargain: SORMAG (Shades of Romance) and Romance Designs. Truth be told, I’m naturally skeptical of anything with the word “Romance” in it, since my book is women’s fiction and contains a minimum of romance, but regardless of this I felt, then and now, that I did the right thing.

I’m also trying to capitalize on a release date two weeks before Mother’s Day by making a yet-to-be-announced special offer to those who would like signed bookplates to personalize Mother’s Day gifts (or for themselves), although I’ll have to put a number limit on this because first class postage is expensive.

My final idea made me glad I’d set aside a budget because it would take the bulk of it. I decided to do a direct mail campaign targeted to a specific demographic: Fifty-year-old African-American female book buyers, since Once Upon A Project speaks most directly to them (although you can still appreciate it if you’re younger, older, or non-black). In addition to postage costs, it takes a lot of time to put together geographically-organized mailing lists, especially if it was done the way I did it (a little bit sneakily, and that’s all I’ll say about that). Because I got many more addresses than I was entitled to through somewhat fraudulent means, I ended up with 5-digit zip codes rather than the zip + 4s that are practically a requirement for direct mail, and I had to work out a way to get this information without driving myself nuts zip code crazy. I’m happy to say that it’s all coming together. I usually gather the data while watching TV, with three screens open on my computer. I have no idea how successful this endeavor will be, but two things work in my favor here – a postcard can be mailed for just 26 cents, and the price increase won’t go into effect until May. And I’ll have these contacts forever.

Of course, when I'm awaiting the release of my 15th book next April, I probably won't bother with any of this stuff.

11 comments:

PatriciaW said...

You've given your book promotion a lot of thought and a lot of effort. Here's hoping that the results far exceed your expectations!

The one thing I didn't see was any type of blogroll campaign. I see these a lot for Christian fiction. Not sure how it would play out for AA women's fiction, and I don't know the sales results but they definitely generate buzz. (Camy Tang's recent release was #2 on Technorati as a result.)

I've picked up a number of books after learning of them through this type of campaign. I believe SORMAG also offers coordination of this type of promotional campaign, although I don't know the cost.

OUAP is on my order list for April.

DonnaD said...

Hey Bettye,

Let me know where you'll be when you do your signing in Chicago downtown. I work down here and I'd love to pop by and pick up a copy of the novel and say hello again!

Donna

Gwyneth Bolton said...

I never know what works with advertising. I usually do ads on SORMAG and RAWSISTAZ. ANd I order postcards. I've found a cheaper way by going through Vista Print. I used to go to a printer in town to have them down and they were steep. I mail the postcards and I send them to conferences for goody bags and stuff. I've been doing ink pens with my name and website on them ever since I started, just to get my name out there. I've been toying with the idea of buying an ad in Black Issues Book Review or RT this time. But that cost money...

Gwyneth

bettye griffin said...

Thanks for reminding me of a blogroll, Patricia. I've got to say it doesn't move me, at least not now. Thank you so much for ordering Once Upon A Project!

Donna, it's not finalized yet - Dorothy, the manager, asked me to call her a month prior, which would be next week - but I'm planning to be at the Waldenbooks Citicorp Center on Madison Street (Ogilvie Transportation Center) on Friday, May 2nd, from about 11 until about 2. Check the Appearance page at my website to confirm.

I also hope you're planning on coming to the Slam Jam multi-author signing on Saturday, May 3rd, between 2 and 5PM (although I'd recommend getting there in the earlier part of the session). It is open to the public, and there will be more than 40 hours participating, including our own Gwyneth! Beverly Jenkins has a brand new historical coming out that week.

Gwyneth, I actually do my own postcards with Print Shop and my color printer (they're not glossy, but that's okay). This way I'm able to control what goes on the back . . . readers in Georgia won't care about my appearances in the Chicago area, for instance. That $15 ink refill at Walgreens is a lifesaver! But I've worked with Vista Print before I started printing my own business cards, and they do fine work.

I was wondering if BIBR is still publishing. My local Borders still has the issue from last November-December on the shelf. Personally, I'd be cautious of taking out an ad in a review publication like RT. Buying an ad doesn't mean they won't rate your book something low, like a 2 (I've seen it happen, even when authors spring big bucks for the cover, and then in that same issue their books get 2's or 3's). Fortunately, Kimani usually does a color ad of all their books for the month, so that's a nice built-in benefit you get!

Thanks for posting!

bettye griffin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bettye griffin said...

Gwyneth, I meant to add, you're absolutely right. It would take psychic powers to predict which advertising strategies will work. If I could do that, I could probably tell you who our next President will be . . . .

DonnaD said...

FYI, BIBR is undergoing a "restructuring". I had an email conversation going with the managing editor because I never got my subscription on time and they still owe me at least two copies. My guess is that they're out of business but haven't said so.

As for RSJ, I don't think I'll be able to make it due to a lack of transportation. If I can, I'll definitely stop by!

Anonymous said...

Bettye, be on the look out for some interview questions.

Anonymous said...

As far as advertising, I still haven't figured out what works and what doesn't. When it comes to internet marketing, I've pretty much done it mainly myself. There's no magic way of doing it because its an investment and doesn't guarantee additional sales, but does guarantee additional exposure. I want to get into more print publications which seems to be hard to do these days but not impossible.

bettye griffin said...

Thanks for the info on BIBR, Donna!

Shelia, I'll be looking for the interview questions. And I do agree that the importance of exposure shouldn't be overlooked.

Yasmin said...

There's no magic way of doing it because its an investment and doesn't guarantee additional sales, but does guarantee additional exposure.

BINGO...advertising is designed to generate awareness and maybe increase sales...but as with most things 80% of books are word of mouth...so the more folks talking about your book the better...and the more ways you can get folks to promote your book that's good.
BTW...Bettye I'm working on a spreadsheet which shows rankings for the various online AfAm bookgroups...some of them not only have decent traffic also good Google rankings...which it's okay to base promotions/advertising on rate...that shouldn't be the only driving factor because sometimes the reason the rate is so low is because the readership is low as well...hence it might be more cost efficient to advertise with a couple of big dawgs rather than a whole bunch of minor players.
But sis...you got it going on...that mailing list...that's the BEST INVESTMENT with money and time you could have created and you should get a lot of mileage out of it!
You Go Gurl!
xoxo
PS email me I have a question for you. apooo4u@yahoo.com