People, please

The news stories and TV news segments screamed, "Gloria Steinem attacks John McCain's war record." Apparently, when discussing the Republican front runner's years spent as a prisoner of war, Ms. Steinem said, "This is supposed to be a qualification to be president? I don’t think so."

I watched this with a shrug. I'm not surprised this created an uproar, but an attack? I don't see it.

Ms. Steinem, who supports Hillary Clinton, presented a hypothetical situation of a "Joan McCain" having spent years as a captive of the Viet Cong, suggesting the scrutiny the fictitious "Joan" might be under that would not even be considered of John, like "What did you do wrong that resulted in your capture?" and "What terrible things did you have to do?" She ended by making the above statement.

I respect John McCain for his terrible ordeal, but I must agree with Ms. Steinem. I don't believe that being a prisoner of war qualifies John McCain to be President any more than Congressman John Lewis having the shit beaten out of him on Bloody Sunday qualifies him to be President (entirely hypothetical; we all know Rep. Lewis is not in the running.) These are men who made personal sacrifices to make America a better place.

But, that said, it might have been better (especially for Hillary) if Steinem kept her mouth shut, since I don't believe John McCain is pulling a Rudy Guiliani (i.e., building his candidacy around his war record).

Something else I must mention, given the title of this column. The owner of a popular hot dog restaurant in Manhattan, Gray's Papaya, has put up a large poster in the window of his business that says, "Yes, Senator Obama, we are ready to believe again." When the New York Times did a story on this, people immediately began to respond that they would not be eating at Gray's anymore.

Only in America.

5 comments:

Gwyneth Bolton said...

I agree with Gloria Steinem's statements too. If it were Joan McCain it would be a different story. And I agree with you, she could have saved that for another time. But oh well... ;-) Folks never really think before they talk, even the supposed "thinkers" of our time... sigh...

Gwyneth

Anonymous said...

I'm so tired I can't sleep. I stayed up originally to see who won the Texas votes, but now I can't sleep. This campaign seems to be dividing the Democratic party and if one nominee isn't chosen soon, the Republicans really have a chance of winning AGAIN.

bettye griffin said...

Thanks, Gwyneth!

Shelia, first let me wish you a belated Happy Launch Day for your new book. Second, I have to say that if Clinton tries any shyster tactics to get the nomination and succeeds, I might just vote for McCain my damn self. (I'm ducking, trying to prevent being hit by whatever it was you just threw at me).

PatriciaW said...

Bettye, please don't lose your mind!

I hear you on the Clinton shenanigans but that's why we need to work hard to make sure she doesn't get the nomination. But if she does...

Don't forget Gray's is in Clinton territory, if you want to call NYC that. As a former NYer, I hate that she and Bill moved there for the sole purpose of launching her Senate run. If they're so well loved in Arkansas, why didn't she run from there?

bettye griffin said...

Patricia,
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't buy this whole "She hasn't made up her mind" business when Hillary and Bill were asked about her running for the Presidency. As far as I'm concerned, this was their plan way back in '98: First the Senate, then the Presidency.