The Queen

I'm delighted to hear Dinah Washington's music featured on a commercial for Doubletree Hotels. She's singing a catchy tune called Relax, Max.

I grew up listening to Dinah Washington; she was my father's favorite female vocalist after Sarah Vaughan, and Pop often took off our Motown and Chess and Stax records to hear his music. Her impeccable diction - you could understand every word - was even better than that of Nat "King" Cole (remember how Sherman Helmsley, playing George Jefferson, used to wildly exaggerate his enunciation in an imitation of Cole?), and her singing voice sounded like a natural extension of her speaking voice. She made it look and sound so easy.

The full-figured Ms. Washington was reportedly dieting for a New Year's Party when she took sleeping pills on an empty stomach (possibly washing them down with a glass of bourbon), which ended her life on December 14, 1963. She was just 39 years old.

She could be flamboyant and outrageous. At the time of her death she was married to her eighth husband. She took her bestowed nickname "Queen of the Blues" seriously, so much that she once declared to a London audience, "There's only one earth, one sky, and one queen. Queen Elizabeth is an impostor." The audience applauded wildly.

Of course, just a few years after Dinah's death, Aretha Franklin was decreed to be the Queen of Soul. (Aretha, apparently miffed by an introduction of Tina Turner as "The Queen" at this year's Grammys, has given herself a new title, the Empress of Music, borrowing from Bessie Smith, who was the "Empress of the Blues.") My father agreed with Dinah . . . that there was only one queen.

Now, whenever I see a Doubletree Hotel, I'll think of that song first, and of those great cookies they make second.

I'll be back to the blog next week. Have a great weekend, and as Dinah would say, stay cool, fool.


5 comments:

Gwyneth Bolton said...

I've seen those commercials. She had an amazing voice.

Gwyneth

Lori said...

Hey Bettye,
I love Dinah's music. You are so right about her diction. As much as I adore Anita Baker and Toni Braxton, sometimes all of that doggone mumbling gets old (smile).

Anyway some of the cuts I enoy on my Dinah Washington Jazz Masters 19cd are--"What A Difference A Day Makes" "This Bitter Earth" and "Long John Blues." Yes, Ms. Washington was in a league of her own.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize she died by an accidental overdose.

pjazzypar said...

Many years ago I read a biography about Dinah Washington. She was definitely a character. She actually answered her phone by saying "Hello this is the Queen of the Blues". She was adored by audiences both here and abroad and her passing was a genuine loss to those who loved her music and the music industry itself.

While living in California, my best friend took me to a Hollywood theater to see a play that celebrated her life. The play explored her relationships with fellow performers, like Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, and Billie Holiday and her problems with drugs and alcohol.

FYI: Did you know that Dinah Washington was Patti Austin's godmother? Thanks for sharing this wonderful post.

bettye griffin said...

Gwyneth, she's been gone nearly 45 years, and I think it's important that people remember her and her talent, and that she's introduced to subsequent generations.

Lori, my favorite Dinah Washington tune is My Lean Baby, which I think had mostly a piano accompaniment and not all the strings some of her later recordings had. I have it on LP but not on CD, so I'll have to download it. Would you believe I've never heard This Bitter Earth? I hear she sang the hell out of it. Will definitely have to check it out. Long John Blues sounds like it might be a risque, along the lines of Bessie Smith's classic Kitchen Man. I want to check that one out as well.

Shelia, I'm sure she died by accident. Her career was going gangbusters, with Grammys and bestselling records and adoring concert audiences, she'd just remarried . . . I don't think she had any intent to off herself.

Pjazzypar, I didn't know she was Patti's grandmother, but I've seen the photo of Patti as a little girl with Dinah and knew Dinah played a role in establishing Patti's own career as a singer.

Thanks for posting, all!