Hmm . . . .

Y'all have probably seen Phylicia Rashad in those weight loss commercials for a diet service. I hear that celebrities can get pretty sweet deals for this, with personal weight loss coaches to make sure the weight comes off. Let's face it, there's no better endorsement than to see a rapidly shrinking famous person every few weeks (and by the same token, it would be awful for the sponsor if the person wasn't successful). Not only do they get to lose weight, they're getting paid to do it.

Which makes the curious part of my nature wonder just how these things are set up. Does the celebrity contact the company and offer their services? Or does the company have staff who scout award shows or watch television, looking out for celebrities who have visibly gained weight (like Candice Bergen) and go to them with an offer, a sort of a Fat Lookout Squad? And, if so, has anyone refused?

I seem to remember Whoopi Goldberg doing commercials for one of these services a few years back, which is why I was so surprised to see at the Oscars that she'd gained the weight back (and then some). I guess you only get one shot at the big bucks to go on a public diet.

Kind of makes me wish I were famous. I could stand to have someone breathing down my neck making sure I lose at least X pounds per week to drop these 30 pounds!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bettye,
Funny post. I've read or heard that some celebs (or their people) approach the company. I think Valerie Bertinelli, Tori Spelling and Jenny McCartney (sp?) did it that way. Jenny made no bones about needing the money. She lost the weight and kept it off. She's 40 (or over) and has the body of 25 -year-old-bikini model. --Reon

PatriciaW said...

Probably some of both, companies approaching celebs and celebs approaching diet companies.

You too can have what they have. For the price of meals (and perhaps a weekly fee), you will get all your meals shipped to you. You supplement with fruits, veggies, and beverages. If you stick to the plan, you'll lose weight, even if you do nothing else.

I've done two of those plans before. They work even though they are pretty costly. The trick is keeping the weight off after you finish the plan Tthey don't really help you with that part much which is probably why Whoopi regained all her weight, like me. So you'd better make sure you're making lifestyle changes, like incorporating exercise, and learning how to maintain your weight in the real world of non-food delivery on your own.

Ladysilver said...

I could use the extra push as well. Or a maid and baby sitter to take care of my household duties while I work out. It jsut never seems to be enough hours in the day.

DonnaD said...

I was going to say the same thing. Most diets don't work; it's about lifestyle change. I haven't seen Kirstie Alley or Valerie Bertinelli recently. I know Queen Latifah was a spokesperson, but I can't see a change in her weight.

I think some of the celebrities do it for health reasons. Queen wasn't trying to get skinny so much as she was trying to get healthy. Might have been the same for Whoopi. But I'm a little disappointed in Phylicia Rashad. She looks great. Is she trying to get back down to Cosby size? I hope not. But if she's looking to shed some pounds and tone up, that's great.

One of the reasons I loved Celebrity Fit Camp/Bootcamp is that is showed that it's not just about eating; you have to address lifestyle/exercise/emotional issues as well if you're going to lose weight and keep it off. They worked their assets off and it showed.

bettye griffin said...

Thanks for posting, all!