Oscar Trivia 2009 #4


First of all, let me say that although I drafted this post this morning, it's not being published until close to 1PM Eastern Time, so don't let the time of publication throw you off.

Okay, now for Bettye's observations of the day. How 'bout that woman in California who just gave birth to octuplets and now has a total of 14 kids! No sane person would want to do this, even with a husband. What kind of doctor would even consent to implanting more eggs in a situation like that? It's like plastic surgery addicts, but even worse. At least with plastic surgery you're only messing up yourself. There are 14 young psyches to be nurtured here. God help them.


Now (finally) for Thursday's quote. "Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera," was famously said by Yul Brynner in his signature role of the King of Siam (now known as Thailand) in The King and I (1956). He shaved his head to star in the stage production and pretty much kept it shaved the rest of his life. Yul Brynner was also famous for filming anti-smoking ads with the caveat that they be aired only after his death (from lung cancer), which made them very powerful. It's said he had to be given oxygen after filming the strenuous Shall We Dance number (he was just 39 years old at the time).



I had to laugh when someone included in their answer a fondness for the song Getting to Know You, because that is also a favorite of my husband's (although he'll be quick to add that he was in the 2nd grade at the time). This movie was set in 1862, so anyone who said 1860s was correct, and anyone who said 1862 gets double bonus points.

Here's where everyone stands (and this took longer to figure than I thought it would!):

Donna is tied for 1st place with 28 points:
5 +2 bonus for Question #1
5 + 3 bonus for Question #2
5 + 2 + 6 bonus for Question #3)

VAM170 is tied for 1st place with 28 points:
(same as Donna above)

Kia is in 3rd place with 18 points:
5 + 3 bonus for Question #2
5 + 2 + 3 bonus for Question #3

Patricia is in 4th place with 12 points:
5 + 2 bonus for Question #1
5 for Question #2

Ladysilver is in 5th place with 10 points:
5 + 2 + 3 bonus for Question #3

Carol is next with 7 points:
5 + 2 bonus for Question #1

Shelia (who is very busy with two upcoming novels to promote and is playing for fun only) is last:
5 for Question #2

By the way, I want to wish Mrs. Goss (Shelia's mom) a very happy birthday tomorrow!

I will next post a tally on Thursday, because I'm off that day. It isn't a normal question/answer day, but that's when I'm going to do it. Those of you who are behind, don't worry, because: First, next weekend we're going to have "lightning rounds" of 5 quotes at a time, which can change the dynamics of this whole thing (although Donna and VAM seem to be movie experts). Second, a more pratical circumstance: People have been known to simply forget to check my blog and post their answers. Finally, finishing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd means you get something out of playing (did I mention my author copies of The People Next Door came yesterday?) So carry on!

Here's the quote for today:

"That was the end of Grogan... the man who killed my father, raped and murdered my sister, burned my ranch, shot my dog, and stole my Bible!"

Five points for the name of the movie. Three bonus points for the occupation of the person speaking. Good luck!

Your answers and my answer will be published noon-ish Eastern Time on Monday. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!


3 comments:

DonnaD said...

Yay! I'm tied in first. I was hoping Reon was in it, but alas, not this time.

Okay, the movie is "Romancing the Stone." The person who said it, Joan Wilder, was a romance novelist.

Hey, here's a bit of trivia, courtesy of IMDB.com: the guy who plays Grogan in the movie also played Jason in the "Friday the 13th" movies. But since you never see his face, he's infamously famous!

Kia said...

Romancing The Stone
Occupsation Romance Novelist
Kia

PatriciaW said...

I can't believe I missed The King and I, one of my all-time favorites!

But today's I've got. It's from Romancing the Stone, spoken by Joan Wilder, romance novelist.