Oscar Trivia 2009 #5

It's the second of three weeks of trivia, and this week's movie quotes might be a little more difficult (but then again, we've got some real pros playing). Let's get straight to it. The line about the murderous, thieving Grogan posted on Saturday came from Romancing the Stone (1984). It was actually dictation of a book from a romance novel, so the occupation was romance novelist.
Only three people answered this one. Patricia missed Thursday's quote, but she's back in it. Kia joined us a little late, but she's still going strong. And, since I did not hear from Cassandra, who posts as VAM170, Donna is the one to beat!


Now for today's quotes (there are two of them):

#1 "With this money I can get away from you. From you and your chickens and your pies and your kitchens and everything that smells of grease. I can get away from this shack with its cheap furniture, and this town and its dollar days, and its women who wear uniforms and its men who wear overalls. "

#2 "You think just because you made a little money you can get a new hairdo and some expensive clothes and turn yourself into a lady. But you can't, because you'll never be anything but a common frump whose father lived over a grocery store and whose mother took in washing."

Double ouch. Five points for the name of the movie. Three bonus points for the relationship between the speaker and the person these cruel remarks were directed toward (it's the same for both quotes).

Answer on Wednesday, noon-ish (Eastern Time), so get those answers in!

6 comments:

DonnaD said...

I think you used this movie in last year's contest. The movie is "Mildred Pierce." It's a daughter/mother conversation.

I saw this one on TCM. Yes, thanks to you, I've been discovering some interesting classics and gems in black and white. And while the acting may be iffy in some cases, the writing is terrific. It had to be be because films in those days had to rely solely on acting, character and dialogue. I wish it were still that way for most films. You may get one or the other, but rarely do you get all three in one film, at least not the ones I've seen. :)

I'll have to email you and tell you about the New Year's day Bette Davis/Joan Crawford marathon I sat through. It was wonderful!

PatriciaW said...

Since I know you like old movies, Bettye, I'm betting this is one of your faves.

The movie is Mildred Pierce. The speaker is the daughter of Mildred Pierce, Veda, directing her comments to her mother.

I liked this one too although I haven't seen it in eons.

Ladysilver said...

Ok..I had to call on phone a friend for this..lol

Mildred Pierce and it was Veda(older sister) to Mildred

Anonymous said...

The movie is Mildred Pierce and the cruel words were said by the daughter to her mother. (the movie is on now). This is one movie I wouldn't mind seeing being remade (or maybe it has and I just hadn't seen it).

Anonymous said...

The movie is Mildred Pierce
Daughter is speaking to her mother.

Cassandra (VAM170)

Kia said...

Mildred Pierce(1945)

Veda is talking to her mother Mildred.