Oscar Trivia 2009 #11

It's the last one, folks! I'd like to thank y'all for hanging in and playing along these last three weeks.

And now, for the answers to Thursday's lightning round:

1) Jackie Brown (1997). This was said by Samuel L. Jackson, who I used to think of as the hardest working man in show business because he appeared in so many movies, and in large roles. And yes, Patricia, you are so right; I can just picture him saying that!

2) Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (1962). Rivals Bette Davis and Joan Crawford co-starred for the first and only time. I never understood why they felt they were in competition; while Joan Crawford was more than adequate, I always felt Bette Davis was the superior actress. As at least three of you stated, Bette Davis' daughter Barbara Merrill (who later wrote a book about Mom the same way Joan Crawford's daughter wrote about her) played the small role of the neighbor's daughter.

3) Here's the video:



James Cagney shocked audiences in 1931 when he struck his wife in the face with that grapefruit. The movie, incidentally, is The Public Enemy. (The next shocking moment probably came in 1947 when Richard Widmark pushed the woman in the wheelchair down a flight of stairs in Kiss of Death.)

4) This is the only quote I've used throughout that no one got the answer to. This was from Saratoga Trunk (1945) and starred Ingrid Bergman and Gary Cooper. It's not shown that often, and I think the plot had something to do with both stars being grifters out to rook the rich folks visiting Saratoga Springs, New York, in the 19th century, then hooking up to work together. Audiences were not crazy about Ingrid Bergman's character, who was of mixed race, being romanced by Gary Cooper, which should surprise no one. The title refers not to Ingrid Bergman's luggage, but to a railroad.

The other movie these two co-starred in was For Whom the Bell Tolls. I believe it might have been Gary Cooper who said that he and Ingrid were "very close" (insert your own meaning to that) during filming, but after the film wrapped he couldn't get her on the phone. At any rate, the only man she had more onscreen chemistry with than Coop was Cary Grant, at least in my opinion. Ever see Notorious?

5) Arsenic and Old Lace (1944), said by Cary Grant. This was his least favorite of his films, and he did overact, but it was still a funny movie. He was supposed to re-shoot some of his scenes to tone down the mugging, but WWII broke out (the movie was actually filmed several years before its release and held until the Broadway show upon which it was based concluded its run) and Frank Capra, the director, got involved in the war effort and couldn't get to it.

The latest scores:

Cassandra - 132 (she got all questions and bonuses correct except #4, and on that one she made a damn good guess)

Kia - 123 (she missed #4 and also missed out on 2 bonus points for not mentioning James Cagney in her answer to #3)

Ladysilver - 90 (like Cassandra, she got everything except #4)

Donna - 59 (unchanged)

Patricia - 42

Here's the final round. I'm just looking for movie titles only. Ten points for each correct answer. Keep in mind that all these quotes have something in common (can't even give you a hint on this one or else I'd give it away). If you can say what it is you'll get 20 bonus points.

1) “It's true, boys. Every word of it. He died like they said. All right, fellas. Let's go and say a prayer for a boy who couldn't run as fast as I could.”

2) "We're the people that live. They can't wipe us out. They can't lick us. And we'll go on forever, Pa . . . 'cause we're the people.”

3) “You be careful out among them English.”

4) "I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.”

5) “You know what it'll be, don't you, Peggy? It may take us years to get anywhere. We'll have no money, no decent place to live. We'll have to work, get kicked around . . .”

6) What is the common thread for all these quotes? (20 points)

Remember, movie titles only; don't bother with who said it or any of that other stuff. Don't forget to say what you think these quotes all have in common!

Answers and winners will be announced Monday night after I'm home from work (which will be very late, since I'm usually up past midnight Central Time).

Enjoy the Oscar telecast if you watch it tomorrow night. If we lived in the same area I'd invite all of y'all over to watch the awards (but then again, I might not even watch it myself!)

Good luck!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES

2. THE GRAPES OF WRATH

3. WITNESS

4. THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

5. THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES

6. THEY ARE THE MOVIES FINAL LINES.

Cassandra (VAM170)

Kia said...

1. Angel with Dirty Faces
2. The Grapes of Wrath
3. Witness
4. The Shawshank Redemption
5. The Best Years of Our Lives

The directors for all these movies were nominated for Best Director.
Kia

DonnaD said...

Sorry I've been out of pocket, dealing with a sick kid, learning more about Avon, etc. But I'm back and I've got the answers - plus BONUS!

1. Angels with Dirty Faces
2. Grapes of Wrath
3. Witness (the book was better and convinced me never to read the book before seeing the movie)
4. Shawshank Redemption (brilliant performances by Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins)
5. Best Years of Our Lives

BONUS: These are the last lines of their respective movies. Ha!

Well, I probably won't win first place as I've missed too many questions, but I should be in the top five.

This has been fun! Can't wait til next year! Oh and I'm blogging this afternoon about my reaction to the Oscars.

Ladysilver said...

1) Angels With Dirty Faces

2) The Grapes of Wrath

3) Witness

4) The Shawshank Redemption

5) The Best Years of Our lives

6) They are all based on books