And the Winner Is . . . .

Sorry this is so late. This is the first weekend since the last one in November where we didn't have snow, and we took full advantage of it!

Okay. First, the quotes:

"You can't handle the truth!" said by Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men (1992)

"I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!" said by Peter Finch in Network (1976) (he won an Oscar, but had a fatal heart attack before the ceremony. His award was accepted by his widow).

"I'll have what she's having," said about Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally (1989)

"Why don't you come up sometime and see me," said by Mae West to a young (not yet 30) Cary Grant. The movie was She Done Him Wrong (1933)

"I see dead people," said to Bruce Willis in The Sixth Sense (1999)

The toughie:

"You can be dark and have money, you can be light and have no money, but you can't be dark, have no money, and expect to get Harry Patel," said in Mississippi Masala (1990), which starred Denzel Washington in one of his most romantic roles.

Now, for the scores: We seem to have lost Patricia (41 OGGS) and Donna (who was leading with 72 OGGS).

Gwyneth earned a respectable 30 OGGS
Patricia earned 41 OGGS and was leading at one time
Donna earned 72 OGGS and was leading going into the final round
Shelia aced every question and now has 85 OGGS, finishing second
Reon also aced every question and now has 96 OGGS, finishing first

Reon gets an ARC of Once Upon A Project. Shelia gets a $10 gift certificate to the bookseller of her choice (between Borders, Barnes & Noble, and Amazon). I'll need both ladies to contact me by e-mail with where to send their prizes (and in Shelia's case, what she wants).

Once again, I thank everyone for participating. I think we had fun. And it turns out that there's going to be an Oscar show after all! It starts in 15 minutes.

Pass the popcorn.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yahoooo...I'm so excited.
This was fun. I've found myself watching more and more movies on AMC. I didn't watch the Oscars (: but I will go online after going reading blogs and see who won what :)

Anonymous said...

Thx, Bettye!
Yes! I was hoping to get that ARC. And the contest was fun. I'm a movie buff--classic and contemporary films. I started rating movies back in grade school. I still have the little spiral notebook with my reviews. I gave "The Bad News Bears" and Disney's "World's Greatest Athlete" five stars each.

Reon :-)

DonnaD said...

I never saw the last post with the last questions - dang it! I kept checking the blog - I saw the interview and the Drew Peterson thing, but I don't know how I missed it.

But oh well. It was fun.

bettye griffin said...

Shelia, I'm glad you had fun. You really impressed me with your answers. BTW, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is the station to watch. AMC used to be good, but that was a lot of years ago. I'm sure you're going to put your gift certificate toward a purchase of Once Upon a Project, right? (smile)

Reon, You are a true movie buff. In the last batch of questions I started to put in a funny exchange from the classic The Women but changed my mind when it occurred to me that you might be the only one who knew it. The trickiest question - and also the oldest movie cited - was the one about Mae West. Not a lot of people know she was speaking to a young Cary Grant. Enjoy your ARC!

Donna, I kept hoping you would post. The last set of questions were in the same post as the answers to the next-to-last questions, to which you responded. You were tickled to have moved to first place - quite an accomplishment, given that you joined so late. Sometimes our eyes play tricks on us. I thank you for playing along, and I'm glad you had fun. You know quite a bit about the movies.

Maybe we'll do it again next year (but for a much shorter period, like one week, since the writers won't be on strike!)

PatriciaW said...

Congrats Sheila and Reon!

I fell prey to some sick kids. I barely know which way is up, much less day of the week or time of day. And I'm working this week after taking Thursday and Friday off to nurse them, although they're still not back up to par.

It would have been cool to win but the fun was in the playing. Thanks for having this contest. I planned on buying a copy either way. Now I'll have to keep it instead of giving it away.

bettye griffin said...

Patricia,
I hope your boys are feeling better. Thanks for playing. You were there from the very beginning . . . "Who has been putting out their Kools on my floor?". Yeah, I'll probably do it again next year, since I will again have a May release in 2009 and should have ARCs by the end of February.