So Long, Chief Brody
Roy Scheider died a few days ago. Every time I watch the movie Jaws (and I saw it just last weekend on my favorite cable network, TCM), I'm impressed with his portrayal of the agonized police chief of the fictional Amity Island, who tried so hard to do the right thing and was overruled by the townspeople.
Of course, it helped a lot that he didn't look like the Paul Newman of the 1970s or the present-day, middle-aged Richard Gere. This was the Everyman in his forties who wore glasses, an ordinary looking fellow who managed to snag an attractive wife (I liked Lorraine Gary, who played Mrs. Brody, as well) about his own age, not 20 years younger, who even after two kids still looked good in a bathing suit. It really is a finely nuanced performance, as is that of the guy who played the nervous, badly dressed mayor.
Scheider played other parts in his varied career, most notably a character modeled after Bob Fosse in All That Jazz, a role of a cigarette smoking, sex-crazed stage show producer that allowed him to showcase his versatility, but for me Jaws is a better film because he was in it.
Rest in peace, Roy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jaws is one of those movies I can watch over and over. I didn't realize he had been in some of the other movies mentioned.

DonnaD said...

I've always liked Roy Scheider. He was great in "Jaws" but I loved him in "Seaquest DSV" (a TV series he starred in during the 90's). Sadly, his adorable co-star, Jonathan Brandis, committed suicide a few years ago (he was in his late 20's).

I also saw him in "All That Jazz." He was brilliant, but that was a strange movie! He was also good in "The Rainmaker" as the smarmy head of the insurance company that wouldn't pay for the man's bone marrow transplant. He played smarmy very well.

Oh, his performance on "Third Watch" as this ruthless Russian named Chevchenko (I think that's how you spell it) was chilling. Brilliant acting, not overplayed, just brilliant.

He'll be missed.

PatriciaW said...

I hadn't heard of his passing. He is definitely the most memorable character in Jaws, except for the shark that is.

bettye griffin said...

LOL, Patricia!

It's nice to know that other movie-watchers appreciated the scope of this man's talent. Thanks, Shelia and Donna!