Movie Trivia Answer to Question #15 and new Question #16
Happy Valentine's Day (yes, I know I said that already, but you might not have read that post yet.)
The quote, "I'm an advertising man. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives, and several bartenders dependent upon me, and I don't want to disappoint them all by getting slightly killed," was said in the movie North By Northwest (1959) by the suave Cary Grant. I've always felt it ironic that a chap from the lower classes of Surrey could rise to become the epitome of class and sophistication, even retaining the Cockney accent. He was like a male Eliza Doolittle, only real.
The answers were slow to come in, and I thought I might have stumped y'all. Uh-uh, y'all were just busy, I guess. Donna informed me that she guessed the answer from the clues (and here I was thinking that "Mount Rushmore" would be the dead giveaway clue). Shelia was the first to respond, and Mel knew the movie but just guessed the speaker. Mel also found another quote from the witty script that I'll share with you:
Roger Thornhill is wearing sunglasses indoors.
Ticket Seller (Ned Glass): Something wrong with your eyes?
Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant): Yes, they're sensitive to questions.
Thanks, Mel!
A little trivia about the movie before we get to the scores and the next question: Jimmy Stewart, a fellow who knew a good part when he saw one, desperately wanted to play Roger Thornhill. At one point he had the part, but before filming began the movie he'd just made with Hitchcock, Vertigo, opened at the box office and flopped. Hitchcock decided Stewart was too old for the part in North By Northwest, so he replaced him with Cary Grant . . . who was four years older than Stewart. (Incidentally, Grant was also 10 months older than Jessie Royce Landis, who played his mother, for crying out loud). Either she wasn't sensitive, or she really needed the job.
But Jimmy Stewart had a happy ending. One, he lived long enough to see Vertigo recognized as Hitchcock's masterpiece. Two, being released from North by Northwest freed him up to accept another part, in an Otto Preminger-directed, Duke Ellington-scored courtroom drama Anatomy of a Murder, which was one of the best films of 1959 (Oscar-nominated) and which still holds up today. Stewart got an Oscar nomination for Best Actor, although he lost to "Moses" (Charlton Heston in the title role in Ben-Hur).
Okay, the scores:
Reon has 27 OGGS
Patricia has 22 OGGS
Donna has 21 OGGS
Mel has 20 OGGS
Shelia has 11 OGGS
For today's question, I'm going to do something a little different. It's Valentine's Day, so I present 6 quotes from love stories:
Busted Love
Man telling his fiancée he can't marry her: "In time, you'll see this was the best thing."
Fiancée: "In time you'll drop dead and I'll come to your funeral in a red dress!"
5 points for the movie name. (1980s)
Drunk Love
Man and woman who hate each other wake up in bed together. They look at each other, scream, and jump out of bed.
Man: "I ain't never drinkin' no more!" (Hint: This came over closing credits, after the official last scene of the film) 4 points for the movie name. (1990s)
Nobly Sacrificed Love
"Here's looking at you, kid." 1 point for the movie name. (1940s)
Nauseating Love
"Love means never having to say you're sorry." 1 point for the movie name. (1970s)
No-Future Love
"Oh Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars." 5 points for the movie name. (1940s)
Fed-Up Love
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." 1 point for the movie name. (1930s)
A chance to rack up some points here, folks. I scored these according to difficulty. If you want to name the actor speaking, I'll give you 1 point for each correct answer (the answer to Nauseating Love can be either of two actors). Answers on Tuesday, when we'll begin the final three questions. Top two winners and their prizes will be announced next Friday.

6 comments:

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Drunk Love -- The Best Man

Nobly Sacrificed Love -- Casablanca

Fed-Up Love -- Gone With the Wind

PatriciaW said...

I've got five out of six:

Busted Love -- Moonstruck The two actors speaking are Danny Aiello and Cher.

Drunk Love -- Stuck on this one.

Nobly Sacrificed Love -- Casablanca; Humphrey Bogart

Nauseating Love -- What's Up,
Doc?
; Barbara Streisand (but I know that it originally comes from Love Story with Ali MacGraw which I have never been able to sit through

No-Future Love -- Now, Voyager; Bette Davis

Fed-up Love -- Gone With the Wind; Clark Gable

Anonymous said...

This is fun. I'll get my responses in this weekend.

DonnaD said...

Here goes:

Busted: Danny Aiello as Johnny and Cher as Loretta in "Moonstruck"

Drunk - I'm stumped. There are several comedians that might have said this, including Martin Lawrence, Rodney Dangerfield and Eddie Murphy. If I had to guess, I'd say Eddie Murphy in "The Nutty Professor"

Nobly - Humphrey Bogart as Rick in "Casablanca"

Nauseating - Ryan O'Neal as Oliver in "Love Story"

No-Future - Bette Davis as Charlotte in "Now, Voyager"

Fed-Up - Clark Gable as Rhett Butler in "Gone With the Wind"

I probably won't catch Reon, but maybe I'll come in second.

Anonymous said...

Here are the movies and actors:

Busted Love - the movie is Moonstruck
Man telling his fiancée he can't marry her: "In time, you'll see this was the best thing." spoken by Danny Aiello
Fiancée: "In time you'll drop dead and I'll come to your funeral in a red dress!" spoken by Cher


Drunk Love - the movie is The Best Man
Man and woman who hate each other wake up in bed together. They look at each other, scream, and jump out of bed.
Man: "I ain't never drinkin' no more!" spoken by Terrence Howard

Nobly Sacrificed Love - the movie is Casablanca
"Here's looking at you, kid." 1 point for the movie name. (1940s) spoken by Humphrey Bogart

Nauseating Love - the movie is Love Story
"Love means never having to say you're sorry." 1 point for the movie name. (1970s)
This is spoken twice in the movie. Once by actress Ali MacGraw and then again by actor Ryan O'Neal

No-Future Love - the movie Now, Voyager
"Oh Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars." 5 points for the movie name. (1940s)- spoken by Bette Davis

Fed-Up Love - the movie Gone with the Wind
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." 1 point for the movie name. (1930s) spoken by Clark Gable

Anonymous said...

Missed a day or two checking your blog and I don't
see a trivia question in time.

Here are the movies for the love or something like it
quotes:

Moonstruck
The Best Man
Casablanca
Love Story
Now, Voyager (Bette Davis is one of my favorite
actresses!!)
Gone With The Wind

Reon :-)