Odds and Ends

I was going to name this column "The Week in Review," but since it's Monday that doesn't seem right.


This was the first weekend without snow since the last one in November (but I was out of town for two weekends over the Christmas holiday, so can't speak of what went on then). It felt good to get out of the house without having to rush back when the snow started sticking. And it was warm enough to melt the ice that had one of our cars captive for nearly three weeks. But guess what's coming tonight? I'm not complaining; at least it held off until Monday.


This year's HBO programming for Black History Month was a biography of the Brown Bomber, heavyweight champ Joe Louis. Every time I think about what happened to him I get mad. The man was an American icon whose patriotic spirit outweighed his wish for financial success. He willingly gave up four of his best fighting years in order to serve in the Army, yet the IRS hounded him relentlessly for years, even taking the trust funds he'd set up for his children. It was time for a comprehensive biography on the champ while there are still people around who remember him. I much preferred listening to his friends talk about him, or his son recalling things his mother had told him about his dad, or even people who'd actually seen him fight, to the musings of Dick Gregory and Bill Cosby, both of whom talked about Louis' 1935 match with Max Baer, as well as its affect on the black community, like they'd witnessed it personally. Dick Gregory was 3 years old in 1935, and Bill Cosby wasn't born until 2 years later. That's like getting Will Smith to describe the mood of the country at the time of the Kennedy assassination.

I watched the Oscars last night. That little girl who sang with the choir at the Academy Awards (she's 11) has a great future in front of her. On the other end of the spectrum, the white-haired, cranberry-clad, 83-year-old Ruby Dee is still a stunningly beautiful woman in her 80s. She might not have gotten an award, but she's a winner.

The Puffy version of Raisin in the Sun airs tonight (Monday). If you watch, maybe you can shed some light on where Beneatha slept before the death of her father. I've never been able to figure that one out, and it's always bothered me.

Note that I didn't mention my writing progress. That's because it was too little to bother with, but I'm not slacking. I'm working very hard on other writing-related issues. Honest.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bettye, I didn't know that about Joe Louis---that the trust fund for his kids were taken away. That's sad. I'm sure that hurt him. I was disappointed when I read that Ruby Dee didn't win. I do plan on watching A Raisin in the Sun. I won't be answering my phone or on the net until after it goes off.

Farrah Rochon said...

Bettye, I agree, Ruby Dee was absolutely stunning last night. I was disappointed that she didn't win, too.

I'm going to record the Puffy version of A Raisin in the Sun tonight. I saw the play when it was on Broadway, and was very impressed.

bettye griffin said...

Shelia, you must check out the HBO documentary on Joe Louis. I knew that he had tax problems after World War II, but I didn't know the extent. The IRS truly hounded him.

Farrah, I envy you for seeing the show on Broadway. There's just nothing like live theater. I just watched the tele-version and thought Puffy was adequate, but that's about it. The casting choice that really got to me was the actor who played George Murchison. He looked like a little boy dressed up in his father's suit . . . and he alone made it apparent that Sanaa Lathan is probably 10 years too old for the part of Beneatha (when not opposite him she looked fine).

The Broadway ticket I'd love to have is Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with Terrence Howard, Anika Noni Rose, James Earl Jones as Big Daddy and Phylicia Rashad playing Big Mama.

Thanks for posting, ladies!

PatriciaW said...

That HBO documentary on Joe Louis should be award-winning, when all is said and done. I learned a lot that I never knew, and it kept my attention.

Enjoyed Raisin last night. I can't believe you thought about where Beneatha's father slept. I'm going with he before the grandson was born but it took this long to get the check! 'Cuz you know how they treat us when we're due something. So the sofa was all hers.

bettye griffin said...

Patricia, just call me super-logical. I think this first occurred to me while watching the movie and Beneatha said upon hearing of Ruth's pregnancy, "Where's it going to sleep, on the roof?" Lena had already alluded to the fact that she and Big Walter moved into that apartment when they first married, so a question was born that she only had a place to sleep since her father passed. (This line was missing from last night's movie version.)

Your post reminded me of something else that seemed odd. Lena, referring to the check, said "We've known for months it was coming." Most folks need life insurance money to bury someone. You're right, somebody sure tried their best to hold it up.

I have that Olajunti album of Nigerian songs Beneatha was playing on CD. All day long I've been humming, Odun de! Odun de! (I understand that means 'Happy New Year' in Yoruba.)

Lori said...

Where did Beneatha sleep? LOL! Very observant. As many times as I've seen that play, I've never thought to wonder.

My guess is Beneatha slept on the sofa and Travis sleep in the room with his parents either on a cot or what we used to call a pallet (smile).

Actually, at one time, one of my brother and sisters-in-law had an arrangement of this kind with her parents. The kids (yes, plural) slept in the room with their parents (the bro-in-law & sis-in-law). Poverty will often times force folks into being very resourceful and creative (smile).

bettye griffin said...

That makes sense, Lori! Thanks! Yes, our people have always had to be creative, borne out of necessity, since many landlords charged us substantially more rent than white tenants.

If you think I'm observant, you should see me when I'm constructing a plot. Every possibility must be explained in a manner that makes complete sense. And as a reader I'm ruthless. I hate plot holes.

PatriciaW said...

Actually, many funeral homes, at least in Black communities, will wait on their money if they're certain they have proof of life insurance proceeds pending. They know how hard it can be to shake it loose.