Movie Trivia Answer to Question 12 and New Question 13



First things first. Be sure to check out my essay today on the APOOO website. (I hope these links show up on your computer; on mine they're a little faint, but the word "APOOO" is linked.)

As for the trivia question, I told y'all that was an easy one!

Reon, Mel, and Gwyneth all correctly stated that "You want my arm to fall off?" was said by Billy Dee Williams in Lady Sings the Blues (1972). Unfortunately, I left my sheet with the latest scores at home (we had a substantial snowfall yesterday north and west of Chicago), so I'll do an update on Tuesday. It's safe to say that Reon is still leading.

Okay, we'll close the week with a more challenging quote. Y'all have until Tuesday at noon-ish (Central Time) to think about this one.

Here's the quote:

"We must rid ourselves of these linguistic shackles."

This is a tough one, so I'll give you a hint. This all-star "buddy picture" was made in the 1970s and was a hit. The cast (some of whom have since passed away) reads like a Who's Who in black entertainment of that era. The line was beautifully delivered by a Shakesperean-trained actor who passed away last year. He said it to his wife, who was known in the film as "Leggy Peggy."

Because this one is rather difficult, I'll give 2 points if you can correctly name the movie, and another 2 bonus points if you can name the dignified actor who said the line.

Good luck!

6 comments:

PatriciaW said...

I got this one, in part with help from imdb, and in part from your clue.

Uptown Saturday Night is the movie. (Thank you, IMDB) And once you said Shakespearean-trained actor, it has to be Roscoe Lee Brown.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Uptown Saturday Night

Roscoe Lee Brown -- Congressman Lincoln

I needed the hints, they helped a lot... :-)

Gwyneth

Melissa Blue said...

This was a hard one so this is what I have:

Uptown Saturday Night
Actor: Roscoe Lee Brown

Yasmin said...

Hey Bettye!
Thanks so much for participating and supporting APOOO's AUTHOR SALUTE. Yesterday was a record-breaking day for APOOO, primarily due to your article. Traffic flowed through consistently throughout the day! Additionally, folks stopped by my MySpace blog to comment on your article. It was a hit and a topic that many could relate to.
Good luck with your upcoming release and I can't wait to get my review copy!
xoxo

yasmin
www.apooo.org
Promoting Our Voices, Showcasing Our Stories

Anonymous said...

Roscoe Lee Browne and Uptown Saturday Night. I've seen this one several times. Roscoe was great as always, but I had a little crush on Calvin Lockhart
and that smoky voice of his. LOVED SILKY SLIM.

Reon :-)

Anonymous said...

I think it's A Soldier's Story.