Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200, Do Not Insert "Had"

Only one of my novels has featured bona fide flashbacks. Most of them, however, have featured scenes set in the past that are recalled by one of the characters. The difference seems to be that flashbacks are allowed to unfold naturally, as if the reader were watching from a catbird seat, while scenes from the past tend to be liberally sprinkled with words like "had," "they'd," "he'd," "she'd."

I personally don't like this pattern and feel it's one of the rules of grammar that should be broken. Surely readers know the action they are reading about is in the past after they've read a few sentences with these words. I don't feel I have to constantly remind them, and I find excessive use of "had" and its variants distracting.

The copyeditors who have worked on my manuscripts never fail to insert "had" in these scenes . . . easily 30 or 40 times, which I think is just plain ridiculous. I inevitably end up writing a special note requesting that these insertions not be made. I'm tempted to include instructions with my next manuscript.

A past scene should be able to unfold in the reader's imagination the same way a flashback does. In my opinion, the use of "had" in practically every sentence only serves to make the action seem more distant, makes writing more passive and is more like telling rather than showing, none of which are desired effects in fiction writing.

But that's just my opinion. What's yours?

4 comments:

Yasmin said...

I agree...we DO NOT need had...it makes the action passive rather than active...hmmm do you have an editor fresh out of college on your book. ;)
xoxo

PatriciaW said...

I agree, and I'm pretty certain that I've seen an editor, maybe over on edittoreent(?), say that your way is the right way. For exactly the reason you say. All those hads make it passive and distant. One or two establish that it's something in the past. Most books that I read do it that way.

Anonymous said...

Your way is the right way...and there are editors out there to back you up.

bettye griffin said...

Yasmin, Patricia, and Shelia, Thanks for sharing your thoughts. No, Yasmin, this has happened to me too many times. They can't all be fresh out of school! And I've seen the "had"s in place done in a number of printed books with past scenes. Fortunately, no one has objected to my insistence that all those inserts not be made.