Goal Striving

I'm not going to post my writing progress this week - there was so little, there's little point to it. But I don't feel bad . . . I also completed a synopsis for a proposed novel and worked on some promo for the upcoming Once Upon A Project. There's more to writing than just, well, writing. When inspriation strikes, you have to drop everything and tend to it. My stepkids were past babyhood when I met them, but I guess it's not too much different from having a screaming baby on hand. It's a matter of keeping calm and knowing that it'll all get done in a timely manner. I've been excessively late only once with a manuscript (actually two of them) two years ago, when we relocated from Florida to Illinois, a job which was largely handled by me. Other than that, I'm pretty reliable.

Instead I'm going to talk about my diet. It's going reasonably well, although I'm being plagued by hunger pains as I type this, and I can't stop thinking about that broiled grouper with lemon dill crust that's on today's lunch menu (see picture). I've been making careul eating choices, with Oatmeal Crisp and skim milk for breakfast, a snack of about 2 oz. of fresh fruit, lots of salads and small helpings of things I love, like desserts and fried potatoes. I can feel the results: My pants aren't pinching my waist like they usually do. If there's any shortfall, it's in the area of exercise. The snow, ice, and slush that are still on the ground make walking difficult, even dangerous. I've done a few sidebends to whittle at my waist and not nearly enough ab tightening exercises.
I work for a pharumaceutical company, and they are extremely health-conscious. Our cafeteria includes lots of fresh fruit and oatmeal, a salad bar and a heart-healthy entree choice, even sugar-free desserts every day as an alternative to the hamburgers and pizza. Many of the women are training to participate in the 60-mile breast cancer walk have gotten into fabulous shape. So it's fairly easy to get into the right frame of mind.
Here's to another day of staying away from the doughnuts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finding good fresh fruit is hard to find around here...well at a decent price anyway. I splurged on some grapes last week. They are $2 to $3 more per pound than what they are in the summer.

PatriciaW said...

I can tell you that when you realize life goes on and eventually the important things will get done is exactly when you hit your stride as a parent.

Getting back on the health kick myself. Went to the doctor this past weekend, only so that she could confirm what I already knew I needed to do. (Somestimes external motivation is necessary!)

So I'm taking it one day at a time, one meal at a time. And trying to do a better job of going to sleep early so I can get up and exercise before work.

Here's to another No-Doughnuts Day!

bettye griffin said...

Shelia,
I'm lucky, the cafeteria here has sweet, ripe strawberries and pineapple. I suspect the peaches are canned, and I know the blueberries and raspberries are frozen because sometimes they're not completely thawed, but what the heck.

Patricia, I'm with you. One day at a time. I just had a yogurt parfait for lunch, layered with berries and peaches with some granola sprinkled on top. Dee-lish! It's amazing how pants that don't pinch can influence a person.

Yasmin said...

I work for the PADOH and our cafe sucks...so much for thinking about the health of the employees. :(