Not That There's Anything Wrong With That

I'm using a popular phrase from the old Seinfeld show (which I never watched, but since I didn't live under a rock I did hear the phrase) in reference to the above photo. I find it unsettling that the word "Muslim" is being bandied about as something unpleasant, along the lines of "child molester," "serial Killer," or "convicted felon."

Islam is one of the largest religions in the world. Some people are fanatics, yes, and believe in causing death and destruction, yes, but I still feel it's wrong to demonize all its followers, the bulk of whom are just going about their daily lives just like anybody else. I happen to believe that a Muslim has no more chance of being elected President of the United States than a Mormon does (and yes, Mitt Romney, it is the American way). But if all the world's Muslims were to turn against humanity . . . well, I'll use a phrase from the Hitchcock classic The Birds: "We wouldn't stand a chance." I'm surprised that Muslims have not raised an uproar over this.
I know I'm being hypothetical here, but if a group of Methodists got together and planned a terrorist attack on America, you can bet that their religion wouldn't be used to incite fear or referred to as something distasteful in such a matter-of-fact manner.

5 comments:

Melissa Blue said...

I think this falls under any stereotype. One person(or several) do something unbecoming and the whole religion, race, gender is stamped with it. Sadly, being a Muslim has always had a negative connotation(sp?).

Anonymous said...

and sadly, unfair or not, many people do associated the muslim faith with the attacks of 911 - and there is no doubt that fear of the unknown is exactly what this picture was meant to incite.

PatriciaW said...

You're so right!

Gwyneth Bolton said...

The sad thing is if he gets the nomination we are going to see just how ugly and hateful folks can be. We can look forward to lots of race and religion based attacks...

Gwyneth

bettye griffin said...

Mel - I agree, but funny how this never happens to white Europeans, isn't it?

Gwyneth - I know Hillary's people are desperate at this point. I guess time will tell how nasty the GOP is willing to get.

Patricia and Anonymous - Thanks for posting!